Mushrooms or toad stools

How do I rid myself of a garden of toad stools that have sprun up over a tree removed three years ago. The stump was cut down but there is still wood remaining 6" to 12" under the lawn. I have tried putting crystal lime down but that has not worked. What chemicals can I use do get rid of these pesty, ugly mushrooms.

Reply to
oldtee

Gasoline will get rid of them. If you can afford it...

Reply to
Art

put the gas in the lawnmower and run over them.

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
oldtee

There's no chemical you can purchase, that can kill them. Most of the fungus is under the ground, feeding on the stump that wasn't removed. If you want them them gone, pick them and throw them away, or dig up the remaining root structure.

It's quite that simple.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

exactly.

what you've got there is a massive chunk of fungus feeding on a dead underground stump, which is sending up fruiting bodies now and then. and anything that would kill it and keep it dead would involve long- term sterilizing all the soil above, like saturating the whole volume with salt or such.

Where I live, they usually show up after prolonged heavy rains (like we had here the other day), at least mine do. Most other times they are nowhere to be seen. I get the normal umbrella looking type and sometimes, the pufferball type, that look like baseballs. I have a couple of stumps that show the fungi all along the path of the underground rotting roots (it's a good way to locate the hidden root stumps). If you dug up that root, you may find a more harmful pest. Loads of Grubs eating the root. I suppose all those Grubs would attract Moles, as well.

Reply to
willshak