Re: Not a Ute - Tojo2010_hunterV.JPG

> > >Cute.

heh... yer reckon??

Would be a "language thing" Leon, but "cute" is not a description for a Holden any Aussie would take kindly too, I reckon. Those GMH guys get pretty excited (passionate) about the wheels "The General" feeeds 'em. /chuckles

Me, if anything, am a Ford enthusiast(?) but in recent years (slipping into retirement) I have opted for vehicles that will give long term reliability for the buck. Sadly.. despite the hype, nothing we make here in Aussie fits that bill. Whatever.. Me. I am well over cars/light trucks and BIG trucks so I hear you and hold no angst. IOW.. I understand what you are saying :->

btw.. you should see that shape/style on American streets. That model was exported to the USA in some numbers. Or was up until you guys changed your tune on wheat prices... or whatever george

Reply to
George Watson

;~)

Probably not. LOL I was just feeling ornery.

Was that a Holden? I was thinking Toyota. Yeah, looking again, it is a Toyota.

Good, I was not trying to piss you off, just poking fun.

Haven't seen anything quite like it here except for the wheels and grill emblem.

Reply to
Leon

heh.. be careful how "ornery" you get around Aussies and their Jap vehicles. It started as a "love/hate relationship" .. let's not mention The War(!!).. back in 1963, and has grown to "farrkk, gotta have THAT!'.

Toyota has had their problems of late - the effects of Korean competition, and now the Chinese, I reckon - but in Quality they have long equaled, and in many cases, surpassed, the European product. One can run a business using these vehicles and make money.. that's the bottom line. It is never appreciated just how accurate the test of a vehicle is when "new" is handed to employees. Seems "fair" to some they do not need to care for a work vehicle as they would their own.

I digress.... :-)

Yeh, mea culpa. My mind was on another thread of a separate conversation (to ).. sorry :-(

.. no worries, it is all good to go :-)

I was on a trip a while back, just cruising through "the Outback" when, stopping at a watering hole (pub/bar) this fella came off the verandah (patio/porch) and positively frothed over the truck.. said he was from Dakota(?). Had to drink three of his beers while he figured how he could buy it (or one like it ) and get it back to the USA. As someone else said (elsewhere) the "Tojo" is "standard fare" anywhere away from the coast , and recently even in the Cities as "get outa my way" type "Soccer Mom" SUVs(?).. everyone has one

cheers george

Reply to
George Watson

FWIW, I currently own a Toyota Tundra, best vehicle I have ever owned.

Reply to
Leon

Ditto. It'll be 4 wonderful years in December. Amazing! I've wax/polymered the finish 3 times, had it LOFed 5 times, and put gas in it. Lots of gas; the only downside. I'm getting

13/18mpg, but I only drive 6k miles annually.

Awhile back it carried a ton of rock. Today six 5gal buckets of soil, plants, tools, and the railing I took down the day before. Tomorrow it'll be a load of bark. The little V-8 hums it right up anything I've pointed it at with very little difference in throttle pressure, regardless of load. I think I'd have been happy with an old Toyota

4-cyl in it, and I'd have bought a hybrid if they'd offered them that year in the Tundra.

Toyota Rules!

-- Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any one thing. -- Abraham Lincoln

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Jeez Larry how do you drive??? I have an 07 4 door, 6' bed, and the

5.7, and 6 speed trans. I consistently get 16+ MPG in town and 19-21 MPG on the highway. I do use premium fuel however on about every 2-3 fill usp. Get the octane rating up, lower the possibility of engine knock, knock sensor tells the computer to advance the timing, you get better gas mileage and performance.

I know, I know all the "experts" say that using premium is a waset of money, I beg to differ, in many cases especially in higher performance engines.

Oh.... you have the smaller V8, 4.7, IIRC those did not get as good of gas mileage as the 5.7 when I bought.

Reply to
Leon

You suuuucccckkkk, damn you!! :)

The way I'm going, I'll be driving this POS Dodge RAM until it turns turtle.

Reply to
Swingman

I have the previous generation (2005) Tundra with the 4.7 liter V8. I LOVE it. I'm not really drawn to the newer models... they're just one step bigger than I really need in a truck, and I wish they had augmented the lineup with the bigger model (the "Tundra Plus"?) rather than replacing the old one.

Reply to
Steve Turner

On 7/22/2011 9:58 AM, Steve Turner wrote: Snip

I have only had GM trucks and had a large incentive to buy GMC or Chevrolet again. A customer of mine happened to be the general sales manager at the local GMC dealer and my son worked for a Chevrolet dealer. I hated the way the 97 Chev trucks drove and felt. Mush on the road. Same with GMC. Did not want Dodge or Ford. Nissan was not even in the hunt. I in particular did not like the new Tundras looks and was so turned off by the GM products I almost gave up and kept my old truck. BUT I had an appointment with eh local Toyota dealer to come in and do a test drive. Climbing into the truck I was determined not to like the truck.

Then I drove the truck and the rest is history. Drive and ride quality was so superior that I forgot what I did not like about the Tundra. I ended up buying for about 6k below sticker and that price was 6k more than I was quoted for the GMC. Never looked back.

Reply to
Leon

And having rode in the back seat, and drove the beast as well, on numerous long distance trips to AR, as well as around town, I'll agree that is far more comfortable than most luxury sedans.

Reply to
Swingman

Yeah, I don't doubt they drive like a dream (but I don't want to climb into one to find out; this one's paid for and it's got LOTS of life left in it), but it's just a tad bigger than I want or need. The stories I heard when the new models were coming out is that Toyota (and Nissan too, with their Titan model) was gunning for the full-sized Chevy, Ford, and Dodge models. That's fine, but they left guys like me behind in the process.

Reply to
Steve Turner

My wife said that I could not buy it with side step rails, sissy bar on her side, MAN STEP on my side. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

My problem with these 1/2 ton, macho, urban bullshit, trucks is that you can no longer reach over the side of the bed to lift something out. I'm not that damned old, or short, but it is an impossible task unless you're 6'8", a gorilla, or both.

Hell, I shod horses out of a 1970 Ford 1/2 ton with an 8' bed and could pick up a horseshoe nail laying in the middle of the bed behind the cab, from either side of the truck.

Reply to
Swingman

Yeah, they beef em up with springs and shocks that could handle 2 tons of gravel, but only about 3% of owners every use them for that.

I still regret selling my '84 F-150 with the extended cab. I routinely carried 2 tons in the bed.... and man did it drive like a Cadillac when loaded down like that. But even empty, I could reach into the bed as you describe.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Over my head.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Rolls over and dies ...

Reply to
Swingman

Or gets hit by an even bigger bird. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Actually, the 'real experts' agree that premium *is* a better fuel assuming your engine mapping allows for the amount of timing advancement. The engine runs cooler, less crud on the impellers if you're using turbos, better efficiency out of your catalytic converter and better mileage.

NOW, having said that, I do buy my gas in the US. Reason is that the difference between regular and premium is far less, percentage-wise than it is here. Today, after picking up a Graco airless paint unit, I filled up at exactly 4.00 for a US Gallon of 93 rated octane. SOOO, by the time I calculate that I can buy a US dollar for 95 cents, the math becomes very interesting. IOW, $3.80 Canadian for 3.8 liters of 93 grade premium. IOW a buck a liter. A liter of gas here, regular, is $ 1.30, premium 91 is 1.47, 94 Sunoco 1.55. In summation, IF it pleases The Wreck, I save a shitload.

Reply to
Robatoy

I haven't had a car/truck payment for 40 years.

Reply to
Robatoy

I tried driving sanely and after checking it over two tanks of gas, I found that I gained one mile per gallon. 'Taint worth it! Toggle switch throttle and heavy brake foot is much more fun and saves you time.

Outstanding, for a fullsize 'pickup with crap in the back.' I carry

500 lbs of cargo all the time, and add up to 3/4 ton more for the client.

Yeah, I guess it pays for itself.

I'll try the premium, ethfookin'ol-free fuel on the next long trip to see if it makes any difference. I used to get 14 around town but then they put that damned ethanol into the gas.

The 4.7 showed 19 vs 18 for the 5.7 when I looked. My littler V-8 has the 5-spd A/T, though.

Dump it at the local Toyota dealer, Swingy. See what a real truck feels like. I hear they're having $4k Off sales...

Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck. Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck. Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck.Ilovemytruck.