Re hearing protection....Kevin

I have a slight case of tinnitus, so a loud noise can increase the ringing? I just flew back to the Mideast, from the US, after the flight it seemed the ringing was louder, but has returned to normal.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

Yes.

And, if you check your hearing, you will probably find that the tinnitus indicates a loss of hearing acuity.

Cherish and protect the hearing you've got, cause hearing aids are NO fun.

Old Guy Who wears two, and still misses the punch line on jokes.

Reply to
Old Guy

I've taken to wearing noise canceling head phones while traveling to cut the wind/engine/rail/fan/road noise. I also wear them while on the computer, which I use as a DVR, as I can turn the volume way down and eliminate the fan and other background noises. At times I wear the noise canceling headphones while traveling even if I'm not listening to anything (e.g., CD, movie, etc.) simply to kill the noise.

All the "noise" I've encountered over the years has left me with some ringing. I'm sure shooting without hearing protection as a kid didn't help--when I got hearing protection I was the only one I knew who had it. I always use it in the shop.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

... snip

Yep, and driving tractors. My high-frequency hearing is not very good, drives SWMBO nuts. "Do you hear that cricket? It's driving me crazy!" me: "What cricket?" or, "Don't you hear the engine pinging?" me: "What pinging?"

... ad infinitum

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Yeah... guns, tractors, motorcycles, snow mobiles, hammering nails, compressor driven jack hammers, various power tools, and rock 'n roll all did their share of damage before hearing protectors and noise canceling headphones came into regular use. ;~) Note that my sons don't have to be told to put on the hearing protection and safety glasses... it's part of the routine as is wearing a helmet while mountain biking.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Thanks for the imput. Yes, I do wear hearing protectors in the shop. Will start using them when flying also.

Reply to
Rick Samuel