Hearing Protection

Probably discussed here all the time but then again I'm not here all the time. Can I get some suggestions for muff type hearing protection. I have a small basement workshop crammed with noise making tools. I have a pair of Thunder 29's but the headband has broken and thus they don't fit as well. Thanks in advance. Jerry

Reply to
Maskman

Like the Peltier (sp?) neck band type myself, doesn't get in the way of my face shield or dust mask, just check the attenuation graph is good for the type of sound your dealing with, some are poor at certain frequencies. One day I'll buy some with FM radio built in, maybe...

Reply to
Badger

Peltor. Keep an eye out on the UK mil-surplus trade for Peltors, but get the fat-dome sort, not the useless thin-dome under-the-helmet ones.

I used to have a set of Peltier earmuffs, but one ear got roasted and the other got frostbite...

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Howdy,

I will mention that I have a pair, and though it is certainly pleasant to listen to the radio while I am on my tractor, the noise reduction aspect is not great.

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth

Reply to
Phisherman

Reply to
Sean Dinh

Reply to
Sean Dinh

I prefer the ear plugs and find them more comfortable than the ear-muffs. Maybe if I found a set of muffs that didn't spring too tight and didn't flatten my ears like little pancakes, I would have a different opinion. I buy sets of 100 pairs of plugs and re-use each pair several times -- a box lasts a long time.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I know they're pricey, but has anyone tried the noise reduction phones from Bose? I've heard my brother's pair (he uses them for traveling) but he's never put them to any power tool test.

Reply to
mark

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 21:07:25 GMT, "Maskman" calmly ranted:

Find the local Harbor Freight store and look for their sales. A kit with dust mask, goggles, and decent muffs is normally $10, on sale for $5 quite often. I got a couple extras last time. If you want more muffling, add foam earplugs, but I run the table saw, router, a gas weedeater, and a 9mm with the muffs on. They work just fine for all 4 tasks.

========================================================== CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks! ==========================================================

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hi Jerry,

It's great that you're thinking about this - I also work in the basement with a lot of power tools. About 10 years ago, I decided that I have to get used to wearing some hearing protection - if not simply because both my parents gradually lost some of their hearing as they aged.

I now wear something when I mow the lawn, use the power washer or work in the shop. It's a no-brainer and simply dumb not to - just like eye protection.

What to buy? I think anything is better than nothing. I sort of set a -25 DB "standard" for myself and it seems to work fine. If I see a -23 DB on sale, that's fine too.

About $15 at the BORG.

Like anything in audio, every DB costs exponential $ in either direction.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

I don't remember the brand, but I use a pair sold at wal-mart in the sporting goods department for shooting. They are affordable ($10-$15), comfortable and work very well. I keep mine on a hook attached to my Dewalt thickness planer, as I wear them EVERY time I use it. I will somethime use them with other tools, especially if for a prolonged amount of time.

Reply to
Joe Wilding

I don't bother with hearing protection when I mow the lawn. Instead, I use one of these...

Roy Smith

hear the mower when grandson is pushing it.

In the shop I have a pair of the muff type and they work well enough. In the winter, I hold them in front of the heater for a few seconds before putting them on.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On Sun, 5 Dec 2004 19:09:07 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote (in article ):

I'm a target shooter and have always prefered the yellow foam in-the-ear type. Much better for me since most muffs preclude wearing a brimmed hat and I find I can hear fine (conversation, etc.) with them in. _Everyone_ Is different WRT this however. The key is comfort and convenience, if you don't like them you won't use them. Every high dB encounter causes damage, even "just one more pass" with the planer without protection.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

9mm router bits? Carving tools? Dovetail saw?

Whatcha saying here, Larry? ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

You need a reverse polarity switch.

Reply to
mp

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 18:17:37 -0800, Larry Jaques vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

When you wear a pair of decent muffs, IME you realise that the "mask and muff set" ones are not as good as you might think. They are not bad at high frequencies, but even then they are not as good as a decent set.

Reply to
Old Nick

i've got a pair of those and a couple of others the idea being i'll just leave them at the machine. of course eventually they all end up some place far from the noise.

bob making sawdust in salem or.

Reply to
RPRESHONG

Howdy,

I had two pair...

They work when there is a noise at a steady frequency (such as in an airplane) but they have a very serious flaw:

I was wearing pair #1 on a flight, and fell asleep. I was awakened to a fierce high frequency whine. It had, of course, come from the headset.

Eventually, I found that by manipulating the ear cups, I could make the set produce that noise, and so returned them to Bose.

They gave me a new pair with no hassle.

Pair #2 (a newer model that allows the earcups to rotate for packing) did precisely the same thing in it also produced the same deafening noise.

I returned those and was amazed when the Bose storekeeper said "Yeah, they all do that..."

In my opinion, the Bose noise-canceling headset is a dangerous item to wear.

All the best,

Reply to
Kenneth