Re: Has anyone seen ad for a ruler with holes?

Somewhere in the last two weeks I saw an ad or a catalog photo for a

> ruler with tiny holes for a *sharp* pencil to make measured marks > precisely where you want. One version was in an L-shape (looking at > the end of it) for marking on a face or an edge. I thought I had seen > it in a Lee Valley catalog but found out that I was wrong when I went > to LV. Can anyone knowing what I'm babbling about point me in the > right direction?

Something like this?

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Would it be one of these?

Incra rulers are available from a lot of tool vendors. I've always thought they looked like a neat idea but I've never gotten around to buying one.

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 20:28:47 -0400, "G.E.R.R.Y." direction?

john carlson

"G.E.R.R.Y." Somewhere in the last two weeks I saw an ad or a catalog photo for a

FWW has an article on rules for woodworking. They shoed it. I saw one in a Sears Hardware store some time back but I don't recall if it was the bent one. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Paul O.

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 20:28:47 -0400, "G.E.R.R.Y." direction?

Check your FWW #165, October 2003, pages 50-53 for Mario Rodriguez' article on precision rules for wooddorking.

.-. Life is short. Eat dessert first! ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

ROTFL!

I'm sure "worddorking" was just a typo but it's so descriptive of how some of my projects appear!

-- Mark, the Wooddorker

Reply to
Mark Jerde

And I thought the holes were to lighten the load.

Reply to
Leon

Now, THAT's funny!

Reply to
Mike Dembroge

On Sun, 05 Oct 2003 03:07:33 GMT, "Mark Jerde" Crawled out of the shop and said. . .:

actually that's an old wReck ism

Traves

Reply to
Traves W. Coppock

On Sat, 04 Oct 2003 20:28:47 -0400, "G.E.R.R.Y." direction?

Like these?

I think you're really looking for the "Bend Rule", but the page above states that they are no longer available.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

They're not?

I spent last night drilling all of my straight edges, and was just about to start my 6" and 12" Starrett squares, when I read your post.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

"G.E.R.R.Y." Somewhere in the last two weeks I saw an ad or a catalog photo for a

Try

. There are three sizes available at reasonable prices.

Tin Woodsmn

Reply to
TinWoodsmn

"G.E.R.R.Y."

Reply to
Jeff Gorman

Incra's web site lists the Canadian dealers as:

House of Tools Ltd. Edmonton, Alberta

780-944-9600

KMS Tools & Equipment Ltd. Coquitlam, British Columbia

604-522-5599

J. Carrier, Inc. Montreal, Quebec

514-598-9777

Outils Pierre Berger, Inc. La Prairie, Quebec

450-444-3882

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

On Mon, 06 Oct 2003 23:03:05 -0400, "G.E.R.R.Y."

On the same web site:

Brampton Beemtec Canada, Inc. Tel: 905-792-4333

Lee Valley used to carry them, but no more. Care to 'splain why, Robin?

Personally, I use a knife for marking when the measurement is critical and a pencil when it's not. I find a 0.5mm lead to either be insufficiently accurate for precision work, or unnecessarily so. A freshly sharpened regular pencil is better than a mechanical one. So I was never really tempted to buy an Incra rule. Note that I am a one-eye-talian (lost my left eye in a car accident), so I have to be extra careful that my eye is properly lined up with the ruler marking since I can't take advantage of parallax like the rest of you. In theory, those rulers should work well for me, but, like I said, I was never really tempted.

However, I bemoan the loss of the Veritas Hook rules. I have a 12" one that I use all the time. I also would have got a 6" one, but they disappeared from recent catalogues. I know there were some complaints about the difficulty in reading the scales. I agree to some extent, but I have yet to make a measurement error with that rule, maybe because I have to be extra careful no to mistake the 16ths markings with the 1/32nds. So Robin, why did you give up making them?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi