Re: For those about to Dork for dough, I salute you

Figured that out a few years ago with acoustic guitars. Couldn't figure out why guitars cost so %$#@* much, had the opportunity and a one year assignment to Panama without the family and said "lets give it a try." 8 months, $500 in materials and about 300+ man-hours later, I learned why acoustic guitars (the good ones) are so expensive, of course a lot of the time would be better spent if you do multiple items simultaneously, but still.

Now, if a friend sees mine and asks what it would cost for me to do one for him, I tell to go to one of the guitar shops find the most expensive guitar in the place add about 25% to the price. If he is still interested, we will talk.

You're right until you actually sit down and do it, you really have no concept of what goes into a project (to do it by hand).

The ones I really feel for are the custom cabinet guys. I went to a dental equipment mfg for a class once, they also make all those cabinets you see in the dentists office. The guy in the cabinet shop was showing me how they cut wood. Tell the computer which cabinets set you want, feed in the stock listed on the stock listed on the screen. The machine cuts and marks all the pieces and spits them out the other side, takes about 10-15 minutes. Try that on a table saw!

John C.

Most people have no clue how much labor/skill/tools goes into anything. > They've never done it. I've bemoaned the fact a number of times & > then found myself in the same situation. > > I wanted some curtains. I looked in Sears & thought everything was > ugly & it cost $50. I wasn't going to pay $50 for a couple of rags to > hang on a window! So I made my own. > > I'd never done that before & was clueless. I wound up with about 12 > hours in, spent $30 on materials & the bottoms of the curtains aren't > very even, but I like them. I now think that $50 for a set of curtains > that I like is a bargain! Live & learn. > >
Reply to
snowdog

Just last week a couple of guys at work saw something I made and was sending out as a gift. The conversation progressed into 'why don't you sell this stuff." I shoed them a picture of the Tudor bench I made and asked what they though I could sell them for. They agreed that $275 to $300 would be good. Then I told them the material was $300 and that labor was probably

20+ hours. Would they pay $1000? Nope.
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Funny that - I could never work out why they were so cheap. And violins are even cheaper !

Reply to
Andy Dingley