Re: DW682K Biscuit Joiner - Angle scale NBG - does it matter?

Well....

DeWalt finally accepted it as a problem after I returned the unit to them. They were unable to give me any reasonable date of when it could be fixed so they agreed to give me a refund. Cheque arrived today.

I have to say that I'm disappointed with the amount of time this took to sort out. I first made contact on the 14 April. Three and a half months. I even more disappointed that DeWalt were unable to find a solution to the problem in a reasonable time frame. This was my first DeWalt purchase. Not a good experience.

Roy (UK)

Matt, > Thanks for your response... > No, no.... Look closer. It is hard up against the end stop. > The distance between the end stop and the arrow, is greater > than the distance from the end stop to the 90 degree mark. > BTW the fence is actually at 90 degrees it doesn't need adjusting.... > Roy > > > **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com **** > > > > Why don't you adjust it? I'm pretty sure that is what that screw is for.. > > Just losen and point the arrow to the correct degree. > > > > > > > I have recently purchased a DeWalt 682K Biscuit > > > Joiner. I have just come to use it for the first time > > > and I have noticed that the angle scale is all over > > > the place.. When extended to the 90 degree angle > > > it shows about 87.5 degrees.... > > > > > >
> Unlimited Download - 19 Seperate Servers - 90,000 groups - Uncensored > > -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= > >
Reply to
RzB

This is some coincidence - I just got through with DW over my new (ish) DW 615 router.

One of the big things with DW is the reputation they have for a smooth plunge - well I have had two examples now and they both stuck in exactly the same way if you did the same thing. I spoke to DW and they agreed it was not meant to be like that, and that I should return it for a refund, as it _could_ also be a safety issue. Note I use the word COULD here, as for a lot of the time it may not matter a great deal, but come a careless moment (and we can all have one of them any old time!) Who knows what might happen as a result of the "feature"

If you want to check it out, I can only offer the most general of advice, as you may have local differences with your model or even this problem on a different model.

There are two knobs for holding and operating this one, and one is fixed, and the other twists to lock and unlock the plunge action. If you twist the locking one so that the plunge action is free to operate, and then push down on the OTHER knob, it binds up solid as far as the plunging action goes. OK so you would not plunge with just one hand, but get it uneven during a plunge cut and it may lock up on you and then jump free again depending on how even a pressure you maintain across the pair of handles. With a cutter in the 8000-22000 rpm range you don't need help from this sort of engineering, less still when you paid a supposedly premium price for supposedly premium product.

BTW DeWalt Tech (UK) said this was clearly an important issue, it should not be that way, and that they would call me back that very afternoon. That was over one week ago now, and almost two! I am guessing the supposedly premium price was not for supposedly premium service or support then; Damned if I know what the supposedly premium price is supposed to be for at that point! ;O)

Like the OP, this was my first DW tool, and I think I might be wise to make it my last based on this experience, since with the first example of the tool, there were a few accessory parts missing I have since found out. The second had those parts present, but had the same manufacturing fault (Oh, and those are DeWalt Tech's words, not mine)

Take Care, Gnube {too thick for linux}

Reply to
Gnube

Heh,

I just bought the same tool and it is the same way. No posible way to point the arrow to 90 degrees. Maybe I will get a refund. It is clearly a design fault.

Tim L.

Reply to
Tim L.