Re: Dust Collection Intake Port Size Question

I am thinking about getting the Grizzley 1029 DC. It has one 6 inch

> intake with a wye connector that splits it down to two 4 inch intakes. > Is it advisable to use a 6 inch to 4 inch reducer if you plan to use > only one intake path? If not, should a blast gate be installed at the > wye so one intake can be cut off?

I'm not sure of your question. You want to run a 6" main trunk line and then reduce to 4" at the DC? If so, no. You want to remove the y and run

6" all the way.

If you reduce from 6 to 4 you will have a severe reduction in velocity. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

better if you can to use 6" pipe/hose to the tool. you will get far better flow.

Reply to
Steve Knight

I would use either a blast gate or a cap on the unused 4" intake, that way you can add on later, if needed, without having to make changes to the existing pipes.

Woodchip

Reply to
Paul Andersen

My older Griz 1029 used a 5 in opening that branched off into 4 in wyes... Odered a new plate which has a 6 inch opening from which I intend to run a 6 inch trunk and 45 degree 6 to 4 inch reducers at each machine connected to my old 4 in blast gates...then 4 inch hose to the tool itself

Wanted the 6 inch main trunk ....

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G

Paul Andersen wrote: : I would use either a blast gate or a cap on the unused 4" intake, that : way you can add on later, if needed, without having to make changes to : the existing pipes.

Unless it's been changed in the last 2 years, the 1029 has a 5" intake and I'm fairly certain the 5-to-dual-4 Y that came with it also

*included* a cap for one of the 4". If you're using 4" flex hose this is a perfectly adequate solution.

If you're running pipe, I'd take off the Y. My DC pipe is 4" schedule-40 PVC; conveniently, 5" flex hose fits nicely around the outside of this (with a 5" clamp to draw it tight), so the final connection to my 1029 is a short length of 5" flex. Works great.

The 1029 is a good machine. I've been quite happy with mine.

-Brett

Reply to
bbonner