Re: Dowel jigs

Doug, I may be wrong, but as I understand how those things work (if they're what I think they are) is that you drill the holes for you initial dowels. Slide a dowel into the freshly drilled hole, place one of those pointy little caps on it, then match it up to the piece of wood you want to join to the dowel, give the set up a tap with a mallet. When you pull the two pieces apart, there is a dimple on the piece to be drilled. Supposedly, when you make the drill and insert the dowel, it will match up both pieces of wood.

If, in fact, this is the correct way to use these, I hope you have better luck than I did.

Disclaimer, what I just posted may just be a POS and I may have my head up my butt.

Blake

Yesterday, at a local hardware place, I found this interesting little set of > General dowel jigs. It's not the clamp-on jig, but a set of little > coin-shaped things with points, in different sizes. Although I have a clue > as to how to use them, there's nothing at all on the package itself. The top > of each piece has a point, as I mentioned, and the bottom appears to > correlate to the proper drill size for the dowel. Is this correct? Before I > open the package, is there something better for my purpose? > > Specifically, I'm making a step stool. The cross pieces (stretchers?) > between the sides are dowelled in place. > >
Reply to
Blake McCully

yes, this is indeed how they work, I use them a lot with great success. if you are doing "case work" then the clamp on type do work better. I use them where you can't get the clamp on jig, or any jig, to fit. I used them for my shop stool to set the dowels for the legs, both panels that the legs attach to were wider than the jig and I wanted 2 dowels so they were not centered.

The catch is you have to have the alignment PERFECT, before you tap with the mallet. Other wise you might as well use a dart from across the room to make your mark.

BRuce

Blake McCully wrote:

Reply to
BRuce

And if you can do that, all you need is a finishing nail. Drive it a little ways into one board, cut it off a little proud, and tap the boards together.

Oh yes, you have to be able to drive the nail straight :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

My set fit INTO the holes. There may be others out there that fit onto the dowel. However, by fitting into the holes the two pieces of wood are in close proximity when the dowel points make their little dimples. They work well as long as you drill both holes nice and square.

Reply to
David B. Chamberlain

in defense of the "dowel points" once you have one hole it is easier, IMHO, to set the other. rather than having 2 opportunities for the drill to wander, you have only one.

BRuce

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Reply to
BRuce

that is what a drill press is for. :-)

BRuce

David B. Chamberla> My set fit INTO the holes. There may be others out there that fit onto

Reply to
BRuce

depends on what your purpose is.

What you found are 'centering guides'. the button on the bottom goes in an already drilled hole, then you press the _other_ piece up against it. The point makes a dimple in the mating piece, showing where you drill the hole in _that_ piece. A real doweling jig is still a good idea, to get the hole straight -- unless you're using a drill-press, that is..

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Check out

within the next 24 hours. We will shortly be posting a review of the Dowelmax Doweling Jig. It's a little pricy at US$169 but if your going to be making a lot of Dowel joints, then we found this jig to be the "Rolls Royce" of Dowel Systems.

Very precise, very accurate, and pretty much guaranteed a perfect result everytime. Very impressive indeed, but I guess you are paying for the accuracy, so it comes down to personal choice I guess :)

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- Ryobi CDL1802D Pro Series 18v Cordless Drill

- Eze-Lap Diamond Sharpening Stones

- Incra TS-III Table Saw Fence

- Ryobi AP13 Planer/Thicknesser

- BeadLOCK Loose Tenon Joinery System