Re: Design Ideas for Round Table Top

wants it dressed up some how. I have mentioned to him that the solid

> wood will go through seasonal changes and this will limit our options as > will the round design. He is not trying to be difficult, he just knows > what he wants. So I have come to this fountain of knowledge for ideas. > Thanks, JG

Does he want the layout in a radial pattern? Like the spokes of a wheel? You could do that with quarter sawn white oak, but the wood wastage might be significant. Or maybe not.

A four foot diameter table top would need two foot long pieces of qswo. Say five inches wide - cut diagonal join the two pieces together and you'd end up with a triangle ten inches on the base by two feet high. Not too much waste. Repeat, dowel them all together and then cut the circle.

Reply to
Ed Clarke

May want to take a look at

for some ideas and get his book "Making Elegant Custom Tables"
are some great design ideas in there along with how to do it and things to avoid - and why. Doug used to participate here a lot in the past and always was willing to answer questions. Ping him at his site, order the book directly from him and I'd bet he would also give you the information you're looking for.

Bob S.

Reply to
BobS

Reply to