Re: Changing the Belts on a Drill Press

4, 5, or 8 (old Sears) speed drill presses use one belt. Those in the double-digits use two small belts with another cone pulley in between.

One thing for whoever's asking to try, just get a new name-brand belt (the kind with the notches is more flexible). The one that came on my POS Chinese drill press didn't even look like a belt. Of course, the DP was junk too and is gone now.

GTO(John)

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

PLASTIC? On a Delta floor model DP? Gack.

I didn't look at the Deltas that closely when I was shopping. I don't actually remember just what I found wrong with them, but it might have just come down to the big price difference. I didn't notice any plastic.

I went back to Sears with some trepidation, and bought the 15" Crapsman. As luck would have it, I paid full price for the damn thing, and then learned that it's one of those items that's almost always on sale, and I had caught it during a brief period between sales.

I had some trouble with the little ring flummy at the top of the column getting chewed up, and the table rack mechanism still isn't as smooth as I'd like it to be, but otherwise I love the DP. The head is all cast iron and steel except for some cheap screw-on bits like the chuck key holder. The lid is a big piece of stamped sheet metal that goes *WHANG* when I slam it down.

The T-slot table made it impossible to use my two-axis vise, so I cobbled up a crazy contraption out of angle iron and scrap pieces of steel plate cut off something or other so I could mount it on the table. I need to get that machined so that it's perfectly flat some day, though it's close enough for my purposes already.

Um. Sorry. I know this is completely irrelevant to the discussion at hand. I'm just sitting here dreamily thinking about how much I'm in love with my drill press. I wish I had two or three of them, so I could do fewer setup changes. I absolutely use the hell out of a drill press.

The Jacobs chuck on it (out of the box) is very good too. I haven't tested it with a runout gauge or anything that extreme, but by eyeball that sucker runs perfectly true. It's light years ahead of the chuck on the DP this one replaced.

Maybe Crapsman isn't such a bad deal after all. It was $300, BTW.

@@@@@@@@ @@@ @@@ @@ @@@@@ @@@@@ @@ @@@@@@@@@ @@ @@@@@@@ MY DRILL PRESS @@ @@@@@ @@ @@@ @@@@@@@@@ @

Reply to
Silvan

you're very strange

i hope you don't find any strange ways to test the runout of your lover

ick

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Reply to
Thomas Mitchell

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Now you are going off into the theoretical realm. I just KNEW someone was going to bring that up. Try to be more practical, and not quite so anal about this stuff.

dave

CW wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Well, I'm glad you're trying not to hurt my feelings or anything...

Reply to
Silvan