Re: Best 14" bandsaw?

How big is your wallet? :)

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- Woodworking Techniques & Projects

- Kreg Right Angle Clamp

- Bosch 3912 (GCM12) 12" Compound Miter Saw

- Dowelmax Doweling System

- Ryobi CDL1802D Pro Series 18v Cordless Drill

Woody

I can maybe get away with around $500. Whatever it takes to get a good tool, though. A piece of junk won't do any good in the long run even though it was cheap (he told his wife).

No doubt I'll want to start resawing soon enough, so that is a consideration.

Reply to
Sammy

I've got a Delta 3/4 horse saw, and it has issues re-sawing thick stuff, especially maple. Careful management of the feed rate is required. Never tried anything harder than that. It was around $700 CDN, so it would be somewhere in your price range. They also have higher end ones (even in the

14" models) that may go on past your price.

I've heard good things about the Grizzley saws. For your price, you could look at either the 14" or 15" saw. You can do a Google search on this newgroup to get feedback on them.

In any case, find a source for good blades to go along with your saw. Depending on the saw you get, you may also have to budget for Cool-Blocks, a fence, and a miter gauge, if you want one.

Clint

Reply to
Clint Neufeld

I'm very satisfied with my Jet 14", but I'm not a pro or production shop. If I was, I'd have bought a Delta. The Delta is better in some respects, but at the time, was $250 more.

Given unlimited budget, I'd get a 21" Laguna. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

I have the Jet 14 with riser and have no complaints. After 1 year it has done everything I needed plus. Al in Sunny Longview

Reply to
Al

How much are they asking? If you are serious about this wood addiction, find a way to get one. It can always be fixed, if needed.

-- Jim in NC

Reply to
Morgans

How much would you pay for a 20" Delta or Powermatic, both are 20 yr old? I have not seen the machines nor do I have any idea of the accessories. I am assuming both machines are in good condition.

Reply to
WD

Well, then, you should get them both.

todd

Reply to
todd

Asking for $1450.

Reply to
WD

EACH, and NOT BOTH!

Reply to
WD

My mistake...you should get them each. Doesn't sound right to me, but you're the boss.

todd

Reply to
todd

I have the Delta 14" Limited Edition model 28-299, and I love it. I paid around $850 for the setup (came with a mobil base, and some other stuff). I'm beginning to think a band saw is the best and most versatile tool I have in my shop.

Just this past week I purchased some Timberwolf blades (1/2" 3tpi,

1/4" 10tpi and 1/8" 14tpi) (about $15-$16 each) and replaced the guide blocks with Cool Blocks (only $14). I added some washers (25 cents each) behind the top wheel to bring it into coplaner alignment. With that setup, I was able to shave a veneer off a solid block of fir. I need more practice, and a taller fence, but the blade has zero lead, so I can follow the rip fence. And the cut was very smooth, even with the 1/2" 3tpi blade. I'm very happy with my setup.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Spend a few hundered more and get a Mini-Max used. I bought a brand spanking new Jet 14" and it is a fine tool. Bought a Mini-Max 18" and it is much man. A REAL piece of machinery and not just a tool.

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey