Re: Another tool ID needed XI

It looks very like Mauser, rather than Krag. I've also never seen one bent like that so I'd guess it has been bent after leaving the factory. Front-hinged, so it has the "roller coaster" type assembly on the top of the barrel that the elevation slider adjusts on. Initial guess is 1893 or newer; the 1891 had the hinge pin at the other end. I can take a look tonight to see which of my Mausers' sights this matches, but it's 1893 or later.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I'm sure it could be used for gaskets but that wasn't how it was marked, the answer it not far off from your response, very similar but for a different purpose.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

2000M more likely off a boer double rifle, shot one a few years back and the sight had that kind of range.

Niel.

Reply to
njf>badge

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 06:52:23 -0600, njf>badger wrote (in article ):

virtually all military bolt rifles of that era had those large range markings.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

Well, it wasn't uncommon for Mauser (and Arisaka) rifles to have _very_ optimistic ranges calibrated on the rear sights. In WWII, the Japanese even added "wings" to the side of this basic sight arrangement, so that aircraft could be targeted (note I didn't say "effectively") by the ground troops. That was seen as more of a psychological factor than an actual tactical advantage; rather than saying "You can't do anything about these aircraft strafing you", it was a "...and here's how to use the aircraft sight on your rifle". Not effective there, not effective at 2000 meters/yards, but the sights are calibrated for it.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Perhaps #140 is used to make barley twist carving ? .

That gun sight, # 141 might it possibly be from a Mauser Broomhandle pistol?

Reply to
HannahR

Well the boers were shooting at that range with their muzzle and breech loading doubles, against a group them big bullets were quite effective!

Reply to
Badger

Thanks for the info, did you ever decide which one it is?

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Possibly, I'll have to look into this one.

It's a gun sight, still not exactly sure for what weapon.

Reply to
R.H.

Didn't get a chance last night, will try to tonight.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:26:51 -0600, HannahR wrote (in article ):

Nope, pistol sights usually only go to a few hundred meters.

I'm sure now it's a Mauser sight, problem is there are _many_ variations of Mauser rifles 8^)

Is the sight a "V" shaped notch or a "U" shape? My Mauser book doesn't go into details on sights, but from my experience carbine sights usually are shorter range, maybe up to "1800" so It most probably is from a full rifle. Given that the shortest range is 300, it's probably a pre-WWII rifle since many countries adopted 100 as the short range position in the 30's

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

It's newer than 1896, but older than the 1901 design. I don't have anything between those two for a direct comparison, though, and my Mauser book is currently out on loan. But I think we're down to a 5 year span. And it should not be bent.

Agreed.

Agreed. Also the two buttons for adjustment imply earlier rather than later. The rounded tabs are less work to make than the more square ones as in the M96 Swedish mauser (and M93 Spanish), so I think it's newer than that. By '01 the slider has been redesigned.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Thanks for the info, the sight is "V" shaped.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.