Rattan and caning questions

I'm refinising a rattan table and I'd like to know how to apply the caning on the rattan joints (wrapping the areas with cane where two pieces of rattan come together, etc). Specifically I'd like to know how to prevent the cane from splitting when I hammer a nail into it. Do I soak the cane in water for a period of time first? Thanks.

Reply to
Stan Mulder

On Mon, 24 May 2004 20:48:53 -0400, Stan Mulder brought forth from the murky depths:

Check your local library for some of these references:

Goto

and search for "caning" in Books.

========================================================== I drank WHAT? +

--Socrates + Web Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I have replaced several woven cane seats. With these you do soak the cane in water. As it dries it shrinks abit and tightens up. I suspect to get the cane tight in the joints you will have to soak it also. I however do not know if wet cane will be less prone to split when wet.

Reply to
Leon

Stan Mulder wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@intrepidNOSPAMsoftware.com:

Go to:

They carry everything you need, with excellent instructions.

Reply to
Scott Cramer

For what it's worth, I'm having success applying the cane by first soaking it for 24 hours and then blunting the end of the nails. The blunt end tends to punch a hole through the cane and seems to prevent splitting.

Reply to
Stan Mulder