RAS dust chute

Anyone have an outstanding plan for a RAS dust chute? Yea, I know I can buy it, but...hve 4" hose running to the RAS

Reply to
cc

I meant to save a link for a chute. Someone posted a link where they made a chute with a curved back that seemed to work well. I just got 4 pieces of 3/8" plywood. I made the sides about 14-16" tall. I put a top on it and punched a hole in the back. It keeps the dust under control with a bonus hose attached to the dust port on the blade guard.

Jim Behning

I don't know about the "outstanding" but here's some pics of mine. The top and sides are 1/2 Birch ply; the bottom and back is 20 gauge sheet metal.

Max

tradeoff that anyone building such a chute needs to consider. From the [lack of] kerf marks on your table, it looks like you use your RAS strictly as a cutoff saw, with no miters of bevels (or rips for that matter, but that is not relevant to design of a dust chute. So yours extends fairly far forward, effectively shrouding the blade during the beginning of the cut. But if you were to do a bevel cut, it would be poorly aligned to pick up any dust (if I am understanding your design correctly).

The other approach is represented by the store-bought dust pickup I have and not real happy with. It is flared to pick up dust from a larger area, and the mouth of it sits even with the column. It picks up a lot, but a lot is missed, too. Its advantage is that it can be swiveled about the column, keeping it aligned with the blade during bevel cuts.

One improvement I have seen on a guard for strictly cutoff work (and I think this was in Charlesworth's Furniture Making Techniques book, although I can't put my hands on it right now) is a telescoping dust chute, with a shroud around the blade that slides into a chute like the one you have built, keeping dust collection as close to the cut as possible, even as the blade is moved through the wood.

Reply to
alexy

Here are a couple of ideas:

(most of the way down the page)

I did something a little different. I will try to post pictures this weekend.

Dave

Reply to
DLB