Railroad Spike Advice

A bit off subject BUT have you ever been in the bathroom on an Amtrak train? When you flush, a plate swings away from the bottom of the throne and the waste is flushed out onto the tracks zipping along below the car. I was amazed, standing there watching those RR ties flying along at 30 MPH. Then the sign above the pot made sense, "DO NOT USE THE TOILET WHILE IN THE STATION". I vowed then and there to NEVER walk the tracks again. You may want to clean that spike first....

john

Reply to
John Beckman

Hell, in many parts of Asia what's found on the tracks is simply more fertilizer for the vegetable garden.

Reply to
Swingman

If this is a rusty railroad spike I would hang it with rusty concrete tie wire.

If you wipe them with a little light machine oil you do get a nice patina.

I have a spike I am saving too, from the pre-WWII era RR tracks, long gone from behind my house. It is not the value of an anonymous spike, it is one you found and can put into historical context. Agree on Alaska. I spent a few weeks there on vacation. Flew into Fairbanks, rented a van and flew out of Anchorage 2000 miles later. Historic stuff is mid state, touristy "must sees" are mostly in the Kenai. Try to get to Homer to see the anti-Seward. "Homer, A quaint drinking village with a fishing problem".

Reply to
Greg

The advantage of living in an area that hasn't seen a passenger train in decades I guess.

Is that a recent story? Is it *really* true?

There's a 70,000 acre Boy Scout camp near here that's having to spend a bazillion dollars to replace all their latrines with septic systems. Something about the EPA or CDC having a cow about /E. coli/ contamination or something. Seems to me these Amtrak folks would face similar scrutiny in spades. Not to mention Amtrak only owns a tiny fraction of the trackage they run on. If I were Norfolk Southern or CSX or BNSF or UP, I'd be pretty pissed about Amtrak crapping on my tracks. Especially if I were a MOW worker (maintenance of way) for one of those outfits, like most of my wife's relations are.

If it's true, maybe we can get a class action lawsuit going on behalf of all railroad employees, and all relatives of all railroad employees, and see if Amtrak can buy me a bandsaw. :)

Reply to
Silvan

I'm glad you asked as I was wondering the same thing although I've pick up a number if railroad spikes myself this year. Truck tires are expensive.

Nova

Nice story but I spend about 50% of my workday on railroad property. No waste is discharged from passenger trains.

Nova

Last time I was on an Amtrak they had the blue stuff in a holding tank crapper like on the plane. That was quite a while ago (25 years?) on the milk run between DC and NYC (not the Metroliner). I rode the train every day for a year between Elizabeth and Penn Station. Took it to DC once. I imagine if you had the "dump on the track" toilet on a 80 MPH trane it would collect on the back glass of the bar car. I know in the 50s-60s you could look down the crapper and see the ties go by.

Reply to
Greg

Rode the Acela a couple times BWI to Boston back bay and the heads look and act just like an airliner.

Even got to ride in the locomotive for an hour at 90 mph or so through Conn and New York but another story.

Allen

Reply to
Allen Epps

I'd suggest what others suggested. Drill holes in the "back" and then tap them to accept a bolt from behind.

Since you're a wood guy, I'd suggest looking up the proper RPM rates. Check out my page below which has some of that:

'll have to also figure out what size you want to drill prior to tapping. Someone over in rec.crafts.metalworking probably has those #s memorized. Otherwise, I can look them up for you Monday. I'll have that chart up in a few weeks. :)

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr.

Joe

That's one fast air conditioner!

Sorry my wife used to sell HVAC, habits die hard

Reply to
Greg

In the good ol' USA probably not. But I saw a PBS show by someone traveling by train through Russia and China. It was definitely true on the train he rode through Siberia. Don't use the toilets in stations. ;-)

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Epoxy will handle it. Epoxy a small piece of wood/metal/plastic to the hidden side. Drill and tap that. If you change your mind it is easy to get the epoxy off. Heat will do it.

Reply to
Joe Willmann

Joe Willmann wrote in news:Xns95C8D2177CFCDljwillmannmailnet@204.127.199.17:

Conversely, epoxy the heads of two small bolts so that they will extend thru the back of the board. Finish with nut and washer.

Reply to
David Wilkinson

Thank you all for your valuable advice. I've decided to attach the rr spike to the display board via wooden dowels. I will epoxy the dowels to the spike, then glue them to the board...it's more cost effective this way and I believe it'll work.

The tapping option was quite interesting, but I would have to go out and purchase a tap & die set, which I've never used.

Once again, thank you.

Happy Holidays, Rick

Reply to
Scaramouche

contamination

My one man datapoint was the a trip on the AMTRAK "Cresent". This train goes from NY City to New Orleans. We got on in Charlotte, NC and Off in Birmingham, AL. I wanted to take the kids on a real train trip before they all the trains dissapeared. This was probably in 1990. Havn't been on one since so I assume that this would be a rare event now but who knows.....

John Beckman

Reply to
John