Question on using different finishes

I can't seem to keep this straight. If you were going to use different finishes on a single project, what types are OK to apply over others?

For instance, I know that you can use dewaxed shellac over or under any other film finish.

What can go on over an oil finish? Can water-based poly go over oil-based, and vice-versa? What about varnishes?

I've tried some manufacturers websites, but they seem to be avoiding the question.

Any help would be appreciated.

tt

Reply to
Test Tickle

A couple of popular books on the subject: "Understanding Wood Finishing" by Bob Flexner - I like this one.

Jeff Jewitt just released a new book, "Complete Illustrated Guide to Finishing". Haven't seen it, but he is highly regarded. He wrote "Great Wood Finishes" and "Hand Applied Finishes". I like Andy Charron's "Spray Finishing", as I use an HVLP.

There is so much to know about finishing, that you would be well served by purchasing and studying a couple of books on the subject, IMHO.

David

Test Tickle wrote:

Reply to
David

I'll second a recommendation for Flexner's book. He goes into this topic quite a bit.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

I'll third the recommendation for Flexner, he's the man. The more you learn about finishing the more useful the book becomes.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

David wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I got the Jeff Jewitt "Complete Illustrated Guide..." There's an awful lot there; more than I could absorb in one or two sessions. Definitely worth the purchase price.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Thanks for all the input. I'll check out the library and see if they have any of your recommendations.

tt

Reply to
Test Tickle

Reply to