Question about Rockler lift caster

anyone tell me how much the step caster that is part of the above Rockler kit will lift the mobile base from the floor?

TIA, Phil

Reply to
cgallery

Three-quarters of an inch.

Reply to
Doug Miller

It is dependent on how much travel you have before the wheel starts lifting. If the stationary feet that the base sets on when the wheel is disengaged are adjusted too far down your lift will be less. The higher the adjustment of the feet the higher the wheel will lift and the farther the travel. If the feet are adjusted farther down, you will have less lift travel.

Because of the way that I have the feet adjusted on my drill press the lift is 7/8". The base under my router table only lifts 1/2".

If "level" is not important to you, you can adjust the feet for maximum lift.

Reply to
Leon

How do you get 7/8" lift, when the difference between full-up and full-down on the lifting cam is only 3/4" ?

Reply to
Doug Miller

That is what I measured however the lift is on a pivot much like a seesaw. If the pivot point is off center, one side can go higher than the other. The farther the wheel is out from the pivot point the more exagerated the travel in relation to the pivot point. The cam on the lift lever is situated almost directly over the wheel however the pivot point is about

3/4" off center of the wheel.

Taking all that in to mind you also have to factor in the weight of the machinery. I had to have my feet adjusted almost all the way up as the weight of the drill press and its stand cause a lot of deflection in the wood and the corner braces. I actually see the braces and wood flex enough that the feet only lift about 3/8". There is right at 1/2" of upward movement at the center of the board before the feet actually lift.

Reply to
Leon

One other point. The specs for the lift indicate "approximately" 3/4" lift. While these lift wheels are pretty stout they are not built with precision. I suspect that "approximately" in the description is to allow for deviations in the manufacturing process.

Additionally, if the connection point where the lift connects to the piece of wood is not a tight fit, lift travel can be lost if the connection has slop.

Reply to
Leon