Question about ripping poplar

Yeah, it can be a time saver. Expensive but can get you out of a bind if you're in a hurry. The Lowes near me used to carry a gorgeous selection of Douglas Fir. Talk about straight grain! Man, I miss that stuff.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Up here in Canadfa Home Despot still sells "american white wood" - and it is Poplar or Aspen

Reply to
clare

McCoy's (3/4 mile from me) used to carry yellow pine that was exceptional. I made a lot of "stuff" with it. I still have a piece of Ponderosa Pine, 2X8X12 that is straight as an arrow. Got it at Austin Hardwoods here. Came from Mexico.

Reply to
Max

DerbyDad03

LOL. Nah, wasn't that kind of arrow. There's a mountain pass in New Mexico called "Flechado Chueco"....Crooked Arrow.

Reply to
Max

On 04/17/2015 11:53 AM, Max wrote: ...

Speaking of that kinda' thing, there are still a dozen or so 2X12x20(!) Doug fir up in the hayloft that were from the construction of the small feed mill and bins we put in the hayloft back in late '50s/early '60s. Quite a bit of 16' stuff from 2x6 up. I haven't been able to bring myself to even touch any of it; virtually all of it is totally clear.

I doubt one could order a 20-footer these days, what more find it in a yard but I remember Dad just called up and had stuff delivered back then...

The barn itself was built right after rationing was lifted after WW-I (the foundation was poured before but grandfather didn't get the lumber before rationing hit so it sat for a few years) from SYP. The posts are three to five 2x6 or 2x8 nailed together and the ones down the sides of the two aisles of the mow to the break of the roof pitch are 20-ft as well. It's nearly 30-ft from the mow floor to the center ridge, just under 40 to the ground...standing on the roof ridge while reroofing could see well over the front edge of the 40-ft silos...

I've cut some of the old SYP from either reclaimed or lain around and the growth rings from end are 1/16" max...none of this fast-growth stuff of today.

--dpb

Reply to
dpb

If you have good stock then there should be no problems with 'springing' but if you are unlucky enough to buy crap wood then almost anything is possible when ripping. You'd be surprised at how many different directions a single piece of wood will try to go when relieving its internal stresses.

Reply to
BenignBodger

you never know what the piece you have will do until you do it i don't know poplar at all

2-inches seems narrow for 85-inch length
Reply to
Electric Comet

Electric Comet wrote in news:mgsb8v$chl$3 @dont-email.me:

It's reasonable for a stile. A 2" stile on each side of a

17" door means the panel will be 13" wide. Make the stiles any wider and the panel would be so narrow that it would look odd.

John

Reply to
John McCoy