Poplar

Chuck - Thanks for the info -

With respect to using poplar for the bench top, I guess I wasn't aware that it was so soft. I've been using the panels as a makeshift bench for a couple of months(sitting on sawhorses). They are a little soft, but I figured that they just needed a finish treatment.

These panels were just too good to pass up when my friend offered them to me - they are actually "seconds" from a shop that makes wood coffins - they were supposed to be the bottoms for the coffins.

Maybe I'll use them for cabinets like you suggested, or I was going to make a bench arrangement for my compound miter saw and my future RAS, so maybe for that.

I'm building a table with maple right now. I REALLY like maple, it works good, and has a great appearance. So I think I'll go back to using it for the workbench.

Thanks for your help -

Reply to
Nick Bozovich

I dunno...lots of people make their benches from pine or fir (2x). IIRC, fir is softer than poplar. Put an MDF or hardboard on top and you're ready to go.

Reply to
Chris Merrill

I made my bench top out of press board for the same reason. I don't have to care about dinging the top, getting glue on it. If I ever feel the need, I can flip the top over and start dinging a new top, or replace it at a fairly cheap cost.

Thomas

McQualude wrote:

Reply to
Thomas Mitchell

If I had a pretty bench it would be afraid of me.

Dick

Reply to
D.B.

Thanks guys -

I think I'm going to use the poplar panels. What's the worst that can happen? I have to replace the top - I plan on making it similar to Frank Klausz's bench (from "The Workbench Book"), with some modifications from Keith Rucker ("Building a Traditional Workbench"), so it should be easy to change out the top. I'll put a good hard finish on it, and not worry about it.

I figure it's kind of like a pick-up if you don't want it scratched, and if you don't buy it to haul wood, gravel, dirt, etc., what's the point? Why not just buy a car instead?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Bozovich