query about Gorilla Glue & biscuits

Folks -

Can I use Gorilla Glue with biscuits? I know the biscuits swell with water and the GG reacts with moisture, but it cleans up with mineral spirits.... so while I know it will *work*, will it make the biscuits swell? Or should I just rely on the biscuits for alignment and not bother gluing them? This is for a cutting board.

Thanks in advance!

John Moorhead

Reply to
john moorhead

Funny, I just did this for the first time. Very new WW here.

I glued up a 20" wide panel using 3 boards of true 1/2" red oak. From other advice I got here and other spots this is what I did. I used #0 bisquits every 6" - 8" along the 30" long panel, 5 total per edge. I put water on both sides of the red oak and also in the bisquit holes, applied Gorilla Glue to one side and then applied gorilla glue to both sides of the bisquit and then assembled the 2 boards together but not all the way yet, don't touch the two pieces together yet. I then repeated the process for the next joint. I used a couple of cauls that had shipping tape applied to them and the gorilla glue didn't stick to the shipping tape. A tip I got from this newsgroup. Once the cauls were tight, I then squezed the boards together with a pipe clamps. This was Saturday morning that I did the glue up. There are no signs of cracking from the swelling. I only left the panel in the clamps for a couple of hours and then leaned it up against a wall to dry for a day before rough sanding. I then moved onto gluing up the next panel, 6 total.

The bisquits worked great for keeping the boards alligned, the caul worked great for keeping the assembly of boards flat, and so far the gorilla glue is working great to keep everything together.

Roland

Reply to
Roland Hart

I used poly glue to biscuit together an outdoor project (a porch stoop cover made of Cambarra) and it worked great. The stuff I used was a poly construction glue, which swells and foams like crazy. Did it make the biscuits swell? Probably, but I'm not sure what harm that would have done - everything was clamped well, and it all stayed nice and flat and square. And the stuff has held up very well so far; it's been outdoors in the Oregon winter rain for several months with no ill effects.

Tim Carver snipped-for-privacy@twocarvers.com

Reply to
Tim Carver

Reply to
Mark

Probably not, because the glue draws water off for its own cure, though not a lot. Biscuits are designed to swell, which is why a super-tight fit is not a great idea.

Charlie Self If God had wanted me to touch my toes he would have put them higher on my body.

Charlie Self

I've used biscuits and poly glue for a few outdoor projects. What I did was glue normally (along surface and in slot) and just give the biscuits a quick dip in water before inserting them. Seems like a cutting board is a pretty simple glue-up so it should work OK for that. If it was something more complicated another strategy might be needed. I can't really say if the biscuits swelled or not but some of these projects are now 4 or 5 years old and there have been no joint failures. Besides, on a typical cutting board, you don't really need biscuits anyway.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman