PVC for air

How much? I have to admit that I tend to think in bigger terms than woodworking, owing to the type of painting I do, so that's my shortcoming in a discussion like this. I suppose for typical small scale painting it could be ok.

How much small diameter hose do you have in your delivery system? Do you so small scale spraying? Are you getting good atomization and patterning? I guess if you're getting good results, that's all that really matters for your application.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

The main delivery tubing is some sort of 1/2" to 5/8" ID plastic hose, tee'd off with barbed and clamped fittings. The main line is 100 to 125 feet long, with 8 or 9 20-30' 3/8" air hose drops terminated with Milton quick connects. The whole rig is run by an Ingersoll Rand 80 gallon

220v compressor. I don't know the HP rating of the compressor, but the airline is typically charged to 125 PSI.

I connected a standard, 50' x 3/8" hose to the final connector so I could spray in the parking lot behind the building. Several large items were sprayed this way. Spray results were as good as I get with my Fuji 4 stage HVLP rig. However, nobody else was using air. I don't believe this setup would have worked if others were using air, nor would I install it in a professional finishing shop or auto paint shop.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Pretty interesting Barry. You've got the pressure and likely, the delivery capacity in the compressor to somewhat compensate for the friction loss/restriction in the hose so you're probably ok - or so I would guess. I really don't stay up late at night calculating these things...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

If you are actually mounting a tire on a split rim you have the very real possibility of the ring coming off and causing damage. Additionally it is becoming less common to see split rim wheels and tires do explode when being seated on regular one piece wheels.

Reply to
Leon

Moden day space saver tires are usually inflated in excess of 50lbs. I suspect his spave saver tire was old and rottten.

Reply to
Leon

Old yes. Not rotten. The original ones were only to be inflated to 12 psig or something like that. Accidents of the sort described are why those are no longer available.

Memory dims but I think they were collapsible with the tire folded into the rim.

Reply to
fredfighter

Yes those were the original space savers with a canister of air for filling.

Reply to
Leon

The 2006 Porsche Carrera GT comes with a can of puncture fix. No spare. Reason being, that there is no room for a spare..even a small temporary one, but most of all there certainly isn't any room to put any of the wheel/tires that would come off the car... even when flat. HUGE rear wheels. (335/30 ZR20 got to get them 600 ponies to the street somehow, eh?)

Don't need no steeenking spares....

Reply to
Robatoy

If you can afford the car you don't need a spare. Two phone calls, one to your limo drive to pick you up and one to "Estate Maintenance" to came and get the car.

Reply to
Nova

A week! How big is your shop anyway? I've plumbed an entire house with galvanized in less than a week.

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

lol.. I guess so. So few of us have a gardener who is also a factory trained mechanic.

Robatoy

1,400 sq ft.

In my defense, I had never worked with black pipe before and I was probably not so effecient with the cutting and threading. Also didn't help that I changed by design once or twice while doing it.

Reply to
Frank Stutzman

Huh! That's bigger than my house.

We'll go with the changing design excuse. That one always seems to work well for me. ;-)

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass
[snip]

brilliant segue.

Reply to
Robatoy

With all due deference, the operating pressure of the exploded line was not given. However, there is no reason for presuming that it exceeded the pressure under discussion, either. Moreover, further down in the page a restriction of 100 psi was imposed ... well below your postulated

150 psi.

One of the additional links DID relate specifically to shop-level pressure and a couple of clearly dangerous failures.

ABS, apparently, ruptures. PVC, just as apparently, shatters rather dramatically.

Under the banner of erring on the side of caution, would it not make sense to eschew pvc in favor of one of the other, commonly used, materials?

Your pvc has flexed each time the pressure has changed. That's a lot of cycles over the lifetime you told us about. The course of prudence would be to at least shield it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

When I worked for the railroad the car knockers would drop a lit fusee into a pipe they had rigged up to a glad-hand and kick the valve on the ground air open.

Probably got a good 100 ft or so altitude ... maybe twice that horizontally.

;-)

I think that they used them to signal each other. The fusee goes out when it strikes anything hard (a gentle sideways tap is sufficient to extinguish them) so they are actually pretty safe for that use.

Bill

Reply to
Bill in Detroit