PVC for air

One alternative not yet mentioned is plumbing with actual air hose.

My buddies large bicycle shop is done that way, as there were enough funky curves to make it worthwhile. He's got 10-12 outlets tee'd off of a basement compressor.

My own shop has a centrally located 50 foot hose reel hanging from the ceiling, with vinyl coated bicycle hooks strategically located. I just pull the hose to where I need it and put it in some hooks to keep it out of the way.

FWIW, the hooks are also great for temporary power cables, hanging bungee pickups for handheld tool dust hoses, etc...

Reply to
B A R R Y

There is also DOT air hose used in trucks/buses with air brakes. You can buy it at any heavy truck dealer and you can also get compression fittings. The 1/2" diameter should carry enough air for the average shop.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Summer heat will do a lot more than soften PVC; it will raise the pressure of the compressed gas.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Frank Stutzman wrote in news:el4hg1$21kv$ snipped-for-privacy@stationair.kjsl.com:

Do I? The intent was to point out that doing it well ("right" is ambiguous here) the first time allows you to be lazy, impatient, and full of hubris. Oh well, refer to the sky color on Usenet and someone will think you meant grey instead of blue.

*snip*

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Depends on what you want to do with the air. If you're planning on running some demanding air tools or painting, then this won't work very well. Too much restriction which results in poor delivery and pressure loss. For a bike shop that might be ok, but for some of the common tools found in a shop/garage it wouldn't be a very good solution.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Holy Cow Brian... $$$$$$$$

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I already bought the damn copper!!! That stuff sure looks like the way to go though.

Max (wishing he wasn't so impulsive)

Reply to
Max

Good thought, Brian. Wish I had waited a couple days. Already about half finished with the air line branch......in copper.

Max

Reply to
Max

On the other hand, the ballistic coefficient of PVC shards is going to be pretty low.

This would be a good one for "Mythbusters".

Reply to
J. Clarke

Not bad for a snub or whip hose, but at only .279" ID, not a lot of air is going to get thru it to the tool where it's needed.

Mike

Reply to
The Davenport's

Only if you fill the cavity with an explosive mixture. Air pressure alone will not have that catastrophic an effect. At worst, the 'shrapnel' will fall at your feet.

Hollywood has completely distorted the concept of 'explosions'.

Reply to
Robatoy

Think again. Explosion due to rupture of a vessel containing a compressed gas is extremely violent. High pressure gas cylinders are pressure tested with a non compressible liquid for this reason.

Reply to
CW

BULL SHIT! !

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Find me one report/link to an accident that didn't involve air pressures greater than 150 psig or an explosive (oil) mixture.

One!

Reply to
Robatoy

Don't change the subject with 'high pressure gas cylinders'. Keep the discussion at shop air pressures of max 150 psig.

And I know that a vessel with 3000 psig worth of steam can level a generating station. Boilers can throw an entire ship in the air.....I am talking about 150 psig worth of shop air. I am talking about a garden hose and you're switching the discussion over to the Hoover Dam bursting.

Find me an accident report. No explosive gasses.....air. 150 psig max.

Reply to
Robatoy

Why would you expect to find reports of something that isn't done?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I just did a quick search online and found 1/2" DOT air line for 71 cents per foot. This was at a street rod place, so a truck dealer should be less.

71 cents a foot is a lot less than copper. don't know what black pipe goes for these days.

There is a 500 foot roll on ebay for 35 cents a foot plus shipping.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Depends on the size of the hose.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Yeahbut, how much for getting connectors crimped on? Maybe in bulk it really won't be so bad, but my first reaction was to the thought of what a simple short length of pre-made air line can cost. I still would not go with 1/2" line - too much air restriction over length.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Wasn't the original post referring to 1/2" air hose?

Reply to
Mike Marlow