PVC for air, good discussion

I'm glad I brought that up. There has been some good information posted by several contributors. I learned of a product called "Duratec" that seems to be an excellent solution to the compressed air distribution problem. I have already installed copper but will certainly keep this web site handy:

Max

Excellent information indeed.

I have discovered one of the errors of mine and that is the air plumbing in the old shop is in fact ABS. My apologies. I also read the other links that kind Wreckers have posted. I would never even think of PVC in an industrial application. Service air systems in my history have been driven by 100 HP rotary vane compressors at pressures of 300 PSIG and higher. 4" lines are not uncommon in power generation. To be blowing craters of the dimensions stated in some of the reports, one needs a whole lot more than a basic wood-workers' compressor. Therefore the parallels are ridiculous.

Even though, in one of the reports it states "Gas Transmission and Distribution Piping Systems Standard, limit the operating pressure of plastic piping distribution systems to 100 pounds per inch (psi)", which makes me think that PVC isn't as fragile as some think it is, it obviously isn't worth taking a chance on PVC. I hereby retract my careless endorsement of PVC and suggest we stick to copper, ABS or other stuff I have never heard of before.

Lesson learned, ABS isn't PVC and you can't get anything past this alert crew of wreckers.

Thanks for the corrections.

Robatoy

I believe you're also supposed to surround the plastic piping with an enclosure of sufficient strength to withstand potential explosions.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

ABS is rated for waste water service, not pressure service.

It is not affected by UV as white PVC is, but is is not solid walled material either.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Max wrote: ...

I'll wager that is some pretty pricey stuff for the average rec'er...

(To see the pricing guide required creating a user account which I didn't take time/effort to do, so that's only an opinion based on observation of what the product is, of course...)

Also, from their product description I noted with interest the following (emphasis added): "Duratec's unique composite structure incorporates a _rigid yet flexible_ aluminum core, ..."

I'm wondering how something is rigid, yet flexible. :)

Reply to
dpb

I had to look, Duratec is also a machinable ceramic I use at work!

Reply to
badger.badger