Heat Controller Co. (Comfort Aire) For Gas, Hot Air Furnace ? Who Are They ?

Hello:

Have been doing a lot of research on gas, forced hot air furnaces, as I have to replace the existing one in a 30 year old 3 bedroom tri-level (split) outside of Boston.

Have, with the great help of so many folks on this group, pretty much settled on either Trane or American Standard. Thanks again all, for such excellent information, and educating me on all of this; really appreciate everyone's time.

But, saw on the gas supplier's website (Bay State Gas) that they also do installations.

So I called them, and yes, they have their own certified technicians, and own warranty, and it all sounds pretty good.

But the only brand furnace they install is from some outfit called Heat Controller who has models called Comfort Aire.

Found their web site, but doesn't really say too much.

Never, ever, heard of them.

Who are they ?

"Quality" product ?

Worth considering ? Why ?

Any thoughts on would be most appreciated.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Robert11

I'd be much more concerned with the quality of their installers than what equipment they were installing. Ask them if they subcontract installations, or if all work is done "in house". I don't have any problems with subs, but with many large utilities, they're required to use the lowest bidder for things like this ... and the lowest bidder for HVAC installs is NOT the one you want to take!! Ask them to see photos of jobs, talk with some people, see if you can find someone who had them install a system, go look at it ... etc etc

I'd suspect the reason they only install Comfort Aire is that they have some sort of deal worked out with Heat Controller ... again, not something I'd be crazy about, as I'd rather my HVAC contractor be more concerned with the quality of the unit they're recommending rather than what type of incentives they can milk out of the supplier ...

However, if you were to have the SAME contractor give you the choice between Trane/American Standard and Comfort Aire ... then go with the Trane/American Standard.

Reply to
Scott McDaniel

If you have settled on an installer that you trust, the brand of equipment he sells isnt so much the point. The install, means all.

Now, about your company in question. They have been around forever it seems, and I have installed a few of their oil units. They are much better than say, a Goodman, and compares in overall quality to any of the big 4 makes. (York, Carrier, Trane, Lennox) They are owned by Century. Bought by them in 1975, and the Heat Controller name, thats been there since 1907.

Your last question..worth considering, and why, was answered above. If the company that is installing them is one you trust, the install will only add to the value of the equipment.

Reply to
webmaster

Steve,

I agree only partly. Heat Controller is a solid unit/brand, better than Goodman. No frills. Kind of like a Suturn/Chevy. Lennox and Trane and York are like a Cadilac. Carrier - in between I think, but getting better again. Carrier had quality problems for a while, but improving. I'm in Myrtle Beach, SC. Climate and salt air tough on everything here. I use Heat Controller dehumidifiers and have had no problems with them. But I'd rather have a Lennox. That is what I have now, 16 year old Lennox Heat Pump. When I get a new one, it will be a Lennox again. Reliable, efficient, quiet, easy to service, resistant to salt air corrosion.

Stretch

Reply to
stretch

I don't want to get into a pissing match with you, but you really prefer Lennox? if you don't mind my asking, why? My experience with them has been that the boards in them suck. Particularly on the 90% gas fired units...there seems to be one resistor that loves to explode on the board and puts a nice little hole in the middle taking out half the printed board....

Also, since you are at the Grand Strand..(we are licensed to do work in SC..most of its in York county ironically enough) I have a company that you should look into for coil coatings for total corrosion resistance. Also..I have to find the link, but there is an independent company that tests the big 4 units for corrosion resistance in Wilmington, and as I recall, York, and Lennox survive that environment well. Carrier and Trane failed quickly due to the coil design. I only offer the Tranes now simply due to consumer demand and the ability to get a break on the parts....talk about proprietary hell...lol

Reply to
webmaster