Pull-style planes

I'm thinking about getting a plane that's made to be pulled and was wondering what you users out there recommend. I'm looking for one that's not hugely expensive, but of high enough quality to give me a good idea of what they can do. Any recommendations?

I'm looking for something in the "jack plane" or #5 size to start.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

The Japanese planes are pull planes. Do a search for those. They look hooky but it is the blade that makes the difference. Unfortunately, they're pricey but maybe you can find a preowned one or make your own.

Otoe

Reply to
Otoe

Have a look at Lee Valley. They have a BUNCH of Asian style pull planes at reasonable cost. Get the iron razor sharp and you have an excellent plane at a very reasonable price. For more info check out Harrelson Stanley's kanna plane video.

Reply to
ROY!