PTL - how long before I can finish it?

Just finished building a swingset out of PTL and plan on finishing it. This is the 'new' PTL from Home Depot that isn't green it is treated with CA- Copper Azole. Has a slight green tint to it which is probably why it is not rated for ground contact.

I don't know yet if I'm going to finish it with a deck stain/sealer or paint it. The spec from the Borg say to use latex paint.

Either way I go how long do I have to wait before I apply a top coat?

Any recommendations on what to use?

Reply to
Limp Arbor

Not to be alarmist but isn't PTL associated with toxicity? ie, kids on a playset?

Anyway, Penofin oil stains are pretty much the gold standard for exterior applications. Here is a blurb from their website.

"Q. Do you have anything to cover pressure-treated wood? A. Any PENOFIN colors can be used on any type of wood. For pressure- treated wood we recomend 99% UV PENOFIN for Pressure-Treated Wood TM in Rainer, Yosemite, and Tahoe, or 90% UV Blue Label Chestnut or Sable."

Also, they state it is "best" to treat your wood before it "seas> Just finished building a swingset out of PTL =A0and plan on finishing

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

The new PTL which has been available for the last 4 or 5 years is suppose to address that potential problem.

Reply to
Leon

3 Hopefully you used the correct fasteners with the "new" PTL. The new PTL requires ACQ rated fasteners and brackets, other wise the fasteners corrode prematurely.

Latex paint is going to hold up under the sun light the best, anything transparent will have to be reapplied every 2-5 years.

You should wait to paint/stain until the wood dries out. For some boards that could be several months, some could be less. I would opt for waiting a year.

Reply to
Leon

To say the least. Our daughter's family had the misfortune to hire a dope to build their home a few years ago. Among the list of things on the lawsuit was using the wrong screws with the new PTL. When the repair crew started to disassemble their porch many of the screws snapped off because they had corroded badly in little more than a year.

RonB

Reply to
rnrbrogan

"About" six months according to the SYP folks:

It really depends > Just finished building a swingset out of PTL and plan on finishing

Reply to
Pat Barber