Good source for Wenge or alternative accent wood

Looks like my cheaper ebony alternative is no longer a nice affordable alternative, going for $18 to $21 a board foot. So far I do not know of yet another dark accent alternative... Walnut does not cut it. Having something shipped at the right price is an option, but it looks like these prices are across the board... (no pun) But maybe there is a seller out there still selling cheaper and someone here knows about it...

Thanks

Reply to
dwolf

You probably need to "ebonize" your own wood. Although not a very rapid process, it can be very effective over a wide range of woods. Lots of information available on the internets.

e.g.

scritch

I once had some Peruvian walnut (aka "nogal") that was very, very close to black. I don't know if that is true of all of it or not. It is also softer and coarser than walnut.

Reply to
dadiOH

Have you tried EBay? There are usually a lot of varieties of wood available. Rich

Reply to
RJDurkee

I can respond to all three... Sometimes when doing inlay wood, or just wood butted up to another species it's not always possible to dye the wood

I am keeping an eye on E-bay... sometimes the magic works, sometimes is doesn't

And I have a couple of boards of the peruvian walnut... not dark enough... or at least the boards I have

Reply to
dwolf

Would blackwood be any cheaper?

Reply to
Leon

Hmmm never actually heard of blackwood... I will google it..

Reply to
dwolf

IIRC it is used for musical instruments, the Flute? Lincoln a few years ago had a Blackwood option for their big SUV, IIRC the dash and door panels had Blackwood veneers. It may however be more expensive than Ebony, maybe not.

Reply to
Leon

Apparently it is used for flooring, that would lead me to believe that it has to be some what affordable in large quantities.

Leon

The true African black wood used to make clarinets is becoming very difficult to get.

Also, during the clarinet manufacturing process, there are high losses due to cracking.

The above courtesy of a PBS show I saw a few years ago.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

My supplier carries African Blackwood in 8/4 thickness at $40.00/bd. ft.

in 8/4 is $18.00/bd. ft.

Nova

it in 4/4 stock, that size "MIGHT" be more reasonable in price.

Reply to
Leon