Proper Paint for a Particular Primer

Specifically exterior house painting: I'm confused and/or my knowing/ assuming is defected. I have generally thought any paint can be applied over any primer.

I used Zinsser Cover Stain oil base primer, then applied Sears Weatherbeater (Latex, waterbased) as a top coat. I am having some peeling of the top coat.... applied within the past 5 years or so. Are these 2 coverages, Latex water based topcoat over an oil based primer, noncompatible, and that's why I'm having this peeling? If so, ....

What topcoating should I be using over the Zinsser oil based Cover Stain primer, for exterior house painting?

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Should be no problem. Personally, I like Zinsser 1-2-3 as an all purpose primer.

Reply to
dadiOH

If originally painted over or if moisture can penetrate from behind, nothing will work for very long.

Reply to
Leon

Specifically exterior house painting: I'm confused and/or my knowing/ assuming is defected. I have generally thought any paint can be applied over any primer.

I used Zinsser Cover Stain oil base primer, then applied Sears Weatherbeater (Latex, waterbased) as a top coat. I am having some peeling of the top coat.... applied within the past 5 years or so. Are these 2 coverages, Latex water based topcoat over an oil based primer, noncompatible, and that's why I'm having this peeling? If so, ....

What topcoating should I be using over the Zinsser oil based Cover Stain primer, for exterior house painting?

Sonny

The primer needs to be "whole house primer" and not spot primer. If you used the spot primer before, it contracts and expands at a different rate than the top coat paint. When that happens, you end up with flaking paint.

Also, moisture getting behind the wood will also cause flaking.

BobS

Reply to
BobS

What is his course of action now if he has these incompatible layers already on the house?

Reply to
Bill

So will inferior paint.

Reply to
clare

A LOT of sanding??? or scraping.. Or both.

Reply to
clare