Projects by hand.

I remember seeing a short segment on the DIY network about a woodworker that used nothing but hand tools and tools that he made himself. In fact the only power tool he used was a really old band saw. And I mean really old.

I was wondering if anyone knows of a book or website that can teach me some of these really old school methods.

I remember in the segment he showed a rabbit plane that he used to make some of his joints and he also showed a few of the tools that he made for other purposes.

What I want is a reference to teach me all of the tools that are used as well as the potential to make new tools, and how to use them all to make different projects.

I am a 25 year old newbie to woodworking and I want to learn how to make some projects the old fashioned way. I want to put a lot into making a project so that I can appreciate it more and make each project I do have personality.

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
diceshooter

This goes along with my contention that the first power tool purchase should be a GOOD band saw.

I didn't do it that way, but in hindsight, it makes a lot of sense.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

link is to a school that teaches furniture making with hand tools. Check it out.

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

Could you be thinking of Roy Underhill?

Mike Gerdts

You might want to check out The Electronic Neanderthal

The folks there are dedicated to the idea that hand tools rule. For what it is worth my shop is a mix of powered and unpowered tools. My conceit is that I can tell when it is better to use a hand tool than take the time to set up a power tool.

tony

Reply to
Anthony VanCampen

Well, pull up a chair on the Porch diceshooter, where the topic of conversation is traditional woodworking (and associated tools) interspersed with talk about blacksmithing, etc.:

you want to join in on the conversation, first read the FAQ:
and then subscribe.

Cheers, Mike

Reply to
Mike