procuring a suitable trash can...

I bought a "Small Cyclone Lid" from LV. It's made to fit a:

20-gallon trashcans (Rubbermaid model # 2892 in USA and # 2882 in Canada)

Or a metal trash can:

trashcans with a 16-1/2" to 17" top diameter

Well, I ordered the thing without checking to make sure it would fit available cans. Turns out this 20-gallon thing is unobtanium.

I bought a can that sort of works, but it doesn't seal well, and it's fiddly. It's also taller than I want, flimsy, and tippy. It has proven that the cyclone lid concept will work as advertised, but I think I'll be happier if I get the right can.

I could order one online from various places, but ordering a trash can by mail just seems ridiculous to me. Are there any common box stores that would carry such a thing? The BORGs are out, as is OfficeMax. Anyone else?

I guess I could maybe get out the phone book and try to find janitorial supply places...

Any other ideas?

I'd probably go with metal if I could find one that would work, but all the metal cans I can find are grossly over- or undersized.

Reply to
Silvan

"Silvan" wrote in

After spending half a day, I finally found them at Target. IIRC, there was a new number ... one of the stickers had "2892" on it, but it was surrounded by other numbers. This was about 3 months ago, so they should still be making them ... buy at least two when you do find them.

Works very well, and sure saves emptying the shop vac so often.

Reply to
Swingman

Forgot to mention that Target had trash/garbage cans in two locations, on opposite sides of the damn store ... I found the first place, but if I hadn't asked out of desperation, I would not have found where they kept the

2892 model.
Reply to
Swingman

I don't have any ideas on where to find one, I've always seemed to have garbage cans follow me home, however, don't underestimate the need for size. Sometimes bigger really is better. My garbage can "cyclone" fills up quickly and because it isn't really a cyclone the collector sucks anything out of the top 1/2 of the can. In other words, you have to empty the can when it gets filled half way so go for a bigger can if you have the room (remember, the footprint is roughly the same).

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA

On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 12:06:41 -0500, Silvan scribbled

Which works great except that my shop vac sucks, so the plastic garbage cans I tried collapsed (OK, I exaggerate - sucked big dents in them)

Tried that one. I also first tried #1339 (It's got wheels!), but it collapsed even faster.

Got one, and it's what I'm using now, but the lid is just a little too big and has to be positioned carefully to avoid losing suckage.

Haven't found a metal one big enough.

You should try moving to somewhere more civilised than Virginia, like the Yukon, where we have real mountains, not bumps.

I tried hardware stores and Crappy Tire too.

Same here, undersized only though.

Hey Robin, how about getting into the mail-order metal garbage can biz? You already have two customers.

Luigi Zanasi

Height is an issue in my shop though. I wanted something short enough to fit under normal working height if possible.

It was possible. Finally found them in the *GARDEN* department at Home Despot. Tons and tons of them for $8. I guess I should check out the orange version of Lowe's more often, so I know where to look for stuff.

I'm glad that's out of the way. The lid isn't quite a perfect fit, but it fits *much* better. I'm glad that damned tall, tippy can is out of my way. This one is short enough to stay out of elbow range. The extra trips to the curb will be well worth it. I

Reply to
Silvan

I had the same experience. I bored the 3/4" relief hole, which helped some, but I fear the first time my ducts clog up, I'm going to have to go pop the can back out.

I'm getting ready to decide whether or not to patent my brilliant solution to this problem. :)

(After I see how brilliant it is... It may not work.)

Probably the same one I had. Barely fits. Put your hand over the hose, and

*whump* in about three seconds?

I have the same problem with the specified plastic one. Just a *little* too big. I'm thinking a band of weatherstripping might be just the ticket.

That's OK. Winter here is plenty bad enough for me.

Reply to
Silvan

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 02:03:09 -0500, Silvan scribbled

Ackshally, winters here are pretty good. Cold and long, yes, but pleasant 'cause it's a dry cold. No rain, no humidity, sunny most of the time (the few hours the sun comes out), no slush or sleet as the temperature is almost always below zero (32 Fahrenheit, Keith), little snow and what falls is light fluffy stuff that is really easy to shovel and just blows off your car when you drive off. It wouldn't surprise me if you get more snow in the Blue Ridge hills than we do.

Luigi Zanasi

On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 20:33:20 -0800, Luigi Zanasi brought forth from the murky depths:

"Pleasantly Freeze-Dried" will now become a new Canuckistani nick.

"Yeah, I heard it from that PFD dude, WeeGee."

I survived half an inch of snow on the ground here on Saturday.

- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry.

Larry Jaques

I found mine at Tractor Supply co. They may have a store near you or you could try some other feed and supply type store.

To solve the tipping and to get a better seal I built a small platform big enough to hold the DC and the can and then I bungee corded them both in place with some eye bolts.

So far it works well for me. Craig Clarkston, MI

Reply to
CWFrasa

I hear what you're saying about a cold snow, and I agree. I'd rather deal with that than sleet/ice/slush. However, I'd just as soon not deal with any of it. The climate in Costa Rica is supposed to be really nice.... :)

Reply to
Silvan

Hi Mike,

Since you are around loading docks from time to time ... you might look for those cardboard drums with the steel bottoms and removable tops. They are about the right diameter, and not quite the height of a 55 gallon drum (there are also short squat ones if you get lucky). Empty, these suckers are a pain to get rid of ... they take way too much space in a dumpster, don't compact worth a bean, and can't be recycled with the cardboard without sawing off the steel on each end.

A long winded way to say they should be pretty cheap.

I don't think you'll collapse one of those easily (with the vacuum setup that is).

HTH

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Hey, that's a good idea!

Reply to
Silvan

Hrm... Interesting indeed. I know exactly what you're talking about. Don't see a lot of those in the furniture business, but worth keeping in the back of my mind anyway.

Reply to
Silvan

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:30:42 GMT, Larry Jaques scribbled:

I just met an English couple (on Christmas day) who recently moved out of SoCal to the Yukon because they couldn't stand the excessively hot climate. This is true. So there!

(OBWW, we celebrated at Ken Mulloy's house. Ken gives me antique tools for Christmas - this year it was a double bitted felling axe with the inscription "ast steel" visible. Probably dates to the Gold Rush at the turn of the century. He also once gave me my pride and joy, a ca.

1919 No. 7C, which I had been drooling over.)
Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 17:55:36 -0800, Luigi Zanasi brought forth from the murky depths:

Well, people voted for Clinton, Gore, and Shrub. There's just no accounting for taste or (lack of) intelligence. And there's no telling what they'll do next, knowwhatImean,Vern?

You can have your corrugated planes. I prefer a flatter sole.

Tagline-based T-shirts!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I used to have a female co-worker from Phoenix, Arizona, who wore bulky cable knit sweaters on 90 degree (F... whatever that translates to in Canukistani... 36ish?) days because it was too cold for her.

Shaddap, you. You suck!

Reply to
Silvan