Trash Can Cyclone Seal

We made a run to Grizzly Springfield early this week and bought a G0453P surface planer and a 1029Z 2HP dust collection system. The dust collector came with the trash can cyclone adapter. Our son-in- law has the trash can cyclone and loves it. Says he gets about 4 or 5 easy trash can empties before he has to remove a bag, and keeps the heavy material away from his impeller.

Problem. We are rural, and we took a tour of a few places we could find metal trash cans yesterday. We found none that provided a snap on fit with the cyclone lid. I finally found one that was about 1/4" larger in diameter. I was guessing there are weatherstrip or other fairly easy options to help seal the thing; and that vacuum would help pull the lid down to a home made seal. Googled quite a bit and found some verbal suggestions too.

With the variety of cyclone lid products available on the market, I'm guessing someone from the group has encountered this situation and has come up with a easy-to-use method. Suggestions?

Thanks RonB

Reply to
RonB

I recall seeing a set-up somewhere where they had screwed a half-dozen or so eyelets into the lid and the same amount some distance below the rim of the (in this case plastic IIRC) barrel. then a bunch of small group of bungey cords held it down.

Reply to
Robatoy

I, too, own the 1029Z and find the lid a loose fit on the can. I took some weatherstrip foam (used for sealing a camper top to a pickup bed) and ran it around the inside top of the lid. Vacuum holds the foam down onto the can so it seals well, but a bit of an air leak wouldn't hurt. I already had the foam, so it didn't cost anything. She's a nice DC and always runs quietly for me.

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I ran a galv strap around the can and fastened it to the DC cart, with a small block at the bottom to keep the can from dropping off. Gravity holds the lid down until the vacuum can seal it. No prob.

-- You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. --Jack London

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I finally got a plug installed on it this afternoon and was surprised at how quiet it was. Not exactly "silent" but pretty quiet.

RonB

Reply to
RonB