Problem with Varathane?

I posted this earlier, but I was doing some computer work with a test Netware server and I ended up getting a date of Jan.1, 2000 configured on my computer, so that's what the posting went out as. So here I go again.

I'm finishing a padauk table top and am using Varathane Diamond Wood Finish, semi-gloss outdoor in the hopes of delaying the loss of color of the padauk. The problem I'm having is the dry time. While it says that drying times will vary, of course, I'm having trouble with it still being tacky 12 or more hours later. I'm in Chicago, and the humidity has been up and down the past couple of days, but I wouldn't expect the drying time to be this long. The last coat was wiped on, so I don't think it's a matter of putting down too much. Any ideas?

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

"Todd Fatheree" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I was brushing the waterbased gloss this evening, and having the opposite problem. It was curing too fast to be able to tip it off properly. We were, however, likely still above the recommended temperature range for application. I'm just not terribly patient. I want this project OFF MY BENCH! There are more interesting things to do than wait for finish to cure. So I'm guessing you're using the oil-based product...

BTW, I didn't think anyone used much Netware anymore. I haven't done a server since about 1995, after having done maybe several hundred since

1983...

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

"patriarch snipped-for-privacy@nospam.comcastDOTnet" "Todd Fatheree" wrote in

I guess I assumed that the outdoor flavor implied oil-based, but in case it doesn't, it is indeed oil-based.

As for Netware, I guess we're seeing a smallish resurgence in interest. If you don't know, Novell recently acquired SuSE linux and I think that has generated some interest. In any case, the company needs someone to get up to date on their CNE and since I'm the only engineer with a CNE in my location, I drew the short straw. What the hell version of Netware were you installing in '83? Netware 1.0 didn't even come out until '88. According to my sources, Netware 68 came out in '83, and it didn't even support ArcNet until a year later. If you were working with that stuff, you are some kind of mega-geek ;-).

todd

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

I did an S Net server in '83, and started doing a lot of Arcnet when it became available. In my files is a copy of the second newsletter they published. It was a pretty small company back then.

The other note to remember is that Vida Blue and Nolan Ryan were contending for Cy Young Awards back in those days. Today, they sell Advil, and do promotional tours. 25 years is a LONG time to stay on the bleeding edge of technology. I sell and manage these days.

Good luck with both of your products.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

I don't think oil based varnish is going to help too much with the Paduak color loss. But I'd probably thin the Varathane about 25% or so if you're having a drying problem.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Well, the thought was that since it provides "maximum UV protection", it might retard the color change somewhat. Since it cleans up with mineral spirits, is that the appropriate thinner?

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

Mineral spirits, naptha, turpentine all work. Naptha dries a tad faster. I'd probably seal it with a few coats of shellac prior to varnishing, too.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Mineral spirits are fine. And to make it a true wiping varnish you'd want to thin it 50%.

will

Reply to
Will