Problems with gel varnish

I'm finishing a cherry table with Bartley's Gel Varnish. I'm having some difficulty getting the final coat to look good. No matter what I do, I leave rag marks where I pick up and put down the rag when I'm wiping off the excess. I thought that perhaps it was on the low side, temperature-wise, so I warmed up the varnish a bit before application. I also tried wiping it off quickly thinking maybe I was leaving it on too long and it was getting tacky too fast. Am I doing something wrong? Do I just live with it and rub out the imperfections later? Could I put a liquid varnish over the top that might flow a little better?

todd

Reply to
todd

If you are working within the correct temp and humidity range, your varnish may be getting old. I have found this to be a problem if the varnish in the can is darker or thicker than Vaseline. It must be light in color and relative thin. You may also be putting the varnish to thinly as it may be starting to dry before you have a chance to wipe it off. Don't let it set too long. I often wipe it on and "immediately" wipe it off.

Keep in mind that even though your Bartleys varnish may be new from the store, it may still be old. Again, the gel varnish should look and feel like Vaseline for the best results.

Reply to
Leon

Well, subjectively, I'd say the varnish is within visual specifications.

Thanks,

todd

temperature-wise,

Reply to