Varathane help?!?!?!?!?

I just recently completed my first intarsia project, and gave it two coats of Varathane (oil based, not water based). I put the last coat on on Thursday afternoon, and it is still tacky (30 hours later). I've had a heater going beside it trying to dry it out for the last 20 hours or so, but it just doesn't seem to be getting any drier. Is there anything I can do to speed up the drying process?? I am supposed to be giving this to my Father in Law for a Christmas gift tomorrow afternoon.

HELP PLEASE!!!!

Larry in Saskatoon snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca

Reply to
Tammie Jellison

Moisture also plays a role in curing. Maybe you need a DEhumidifier?

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

"Tammie Jellison" wrote in news:P0uCb.679291$6C4.537700@pd7tw1no:

I wouldn't use wrapping paper if I were you. ;-)

Seriiously, is it in a damp room/basement?

Reply to
Woodchuck Bill

Is that Varathane in a spray bomb? I used some of that in a spray bomb and it took forever to dry. I thought there was somthing wrong with it.

Reply to
anthony diodati

I don't think the humidity is a problem. Humidty is about 20% and temp is about 20 deg. C. I wonder if the Varathne is bad???

Reply to
Tammie Jellison

Reply to
anthony diodati

Let Us know, I have 2 cans of it, wonder if its too old?

Probably way too late now, but there normally is a manufacturer's number, on the can label, you can call, for help.

JOAT Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

- Unknown

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 12 Dec 2003. Some tunes I like.

anthony diodati

Reply to
JGS

Finishing was always a pain for me. I could not lay down a smooth coat of anything. Then I found a way of laying down fast drying smooth coats. My method is to thin what ever you are using and apply it to the surface then wipe off the excess with a paper towel and let it dry. Do this many times and you will eventually have a great looking surface and still be able to feel the grain of the wood. Works for me anyway.

Reply to
golfmyball