Problem with Delta DP350 Drill Press

I just purchased a Delta DP350 drill press on ebay. When I assembled and tested the unit, the unit started making a funny sound when I moved the speed control to the lowest setting. I opened the top panel and the spring, cap, and retaining ring had popped off of the drive pulley. I was able to re-compress the spring and install the retaining ring. When I started it up and moved the speed control to the lowest speed setting, there was another "POP" and again the retaining ring had let loose releasing the cap and spring from the top of the drive pulley.

Anyone else seen this problem? Seems like when you go to the lowest speed, it puts more tension on the drive belt. I'm not sure if the problem is in the retaining ring or the variable speed stuff.

BTW, that's it for me on ebay. I've had too many bad experiences. This DP was advertized as "never used". Now I can see why. The wear on the top screws indicated to me that this problem was known.

Reply to
Jerry

Did you try getting a refund from the seller?

I believe Delta has had many problems with these drill presses. They didn't translate the variable speed thing very well into the bargain catagory. Try calling Delta and explaining the problems. I think they've been pretty good about correcting them.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

I'd try Delta (deltamachinery.com) - I had a problem with an old miter saw, and needed a part. It was no longer produced, but the Delta Rep was very helpful, and tried really hard to find it by searching for other similar saws. Maybe there's a part missing - you can download the parts list and owners manual off their site and compare it with what you have or don't have on your DP.

Nick B

Reply to
Nick Bozovich

Hi, I did a writeup on this exact problem some time ago. The problem stems from the different thermal expansion rates of the aluminum hub and the steel collar. When the assembly becomes heated through use, the very minimal interference fit (`.001") becomes a non-interferance fit. ;-) The end result - the pulley pops off the hub.

Delta has corrected this in replacement parts by installing a setscrew, although I'm not certain this was the best of fixes. I solved the problem on mine by peening the pulley ID and using RED locktight stud and bearing mount when reassembling. Heat the pulley up and put the collar in the freezer before assembly. It will slip right together.

Good Luck,

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G.

Just an idea... I have the big VS 16" (model X5 17-990X) and it's important to turn the speed control only when the DP is running. If you turn it while it doesn't work, then what you just described happens.

Take a look at your instructions. Good luck.

Wally

Reply to
Wally

I own the same drill press and had a similar problem. I contacted Delta support and they seemed quite familiar with the problem. I didn't have to describe it very long for them to know exactly what the problem was. They indicated that it was a very common problem with that unit.

They sent me several replacement parts including a new pulley. I had the unit for about a year and a half before calling, and they gave me no grief about sending out the parts (free of charge). I don't know if the fact that you purchased it used might cause a problem, but it doesn't hurt to ask them. If the problem is a design defect (which it appears to be) then they might be sending out parts to any who request them without much hassle.

-Mark

-Mark

Reply to
Mark Blum

Thanks for your inputs.

I stopped by my Delta service center today. It didn't take long describing the problem when he said to just bring it in and they would take care of the problem. I got the feeling that they were well aware of the problem. I'm taking it in Saturday. Hopefully this is the end of the story.

Had I been more diligent, the user comments in Amazon all reflect the quality problems with this press. I believe the seller on ebay knew this was a POS and was unloading it. It wasn't really used as it still was covered with the shipping grease. Delta really screwed up on this one.

Reply to
Jerry