Prices for objects of wood

Thanks for sharing, one thing seems clear and that's I should not try too hard to sell at craft shows. So I will look for the right venues and there's always etsy.

We're told that there are ~7 billion of us here so there's always going to be someone else doing the same thing. So I won't be making what's already out there or make them in some novel way.

Reply to
Electric Comet

IMO "Novel" is the key. Any wood object you are trying to make money on (or at least recover your direct costs on) probably is already being sold for less than you can do it for. Your ace in the hole is to be unique. Not necessarily 'artsy', but clever. Many of the cutting boards I make have the 'sin' of ending up as end-grain glue ups and/or mixed species of wood. Get these wet from too much cleaning or setting on a wet kitchen counter and the glue joints will fail. With these type boards, I leave a 'description card' with the wood species, care instructions, etc. and most importantly a warning that the board is 'decorative' and excessive moisture will cause issues. Take one fancy bread board, add feet or low profile handles, then call it a trivet. Add a shallow frame (so the board 'floats' like a door panel) and call it a serving tray.

I also make simple business card holders which are a great way to use up nice looking scraps. My wife who does fused glass stuff makes a simple diachronic plate that gets glued to the front. This changes a $5 item into a $40 piece. Same with boxes. The 'nice' hardware will instantly kill your profits. Use something 'rustic' (i.e. cheap) and add some unique objects to the lid (the wife helps out here again) and you have a seller.

-BR

Brewster

It seems to be and put another way by another poster "riches in niches"

In some way a new angle has to be found, could be in the product or the selling venue. Or both.

Waterproof glue won't work here?

Yes using french words seems to up the price.

Encouraging for sure. I like the idea of using other materials together. glass/wood, leather/wood, epoxy resin/wood, etc.

Reply to
Electric Comet

Yeah, my bad. I should have used rustique, instead of rustic. And while you're buildng the items, have something like this playing in the background.

Good music is inspirational, often times.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Sorry, Sonny. I'll stick with Hawaiian or bluegrass instrumental.

Reply to
G. Ross

It's the mechanical forces of different rates of wood expansion along the glue line. I've seen recommendations to use glues with a bit of 'give' to help prevent this. For complex stuff, I use epoxy exclusively due to the much longer working time even though TB-III might make more sense.

-BR

Brewster

I got a chuckle from that. I knew someone would "object", that way. Actua lly, I like a variety of music and I'm more in tune with C&W, Cajun French, 60's & 70s R&R, than with those soundtrack instrumentals.

During the school year I spent in Idaho, there were lots of bluegrass fans, listening to the BG radio station, there. I do appreciate BG. We don't h ave a BG radio station here in S. Louisiana, but I do have the Pandora conn ection. Thanks for the reminder, I'll have to reconnect with BG.... and th ose school-time memories.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

East Texas has BG festivals every year - in several towns.

Just without most of the Texas Swing that I like.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Besides a fiddle in the band, in Texas you gottta cover all bases.

Played in a Texas Swing band with half these guys when playing in South Central and West Texas:

And four of us, plus a chick singer, as a BG band when playing in East Texas:

And, what I love about Sirius XM radio in the truck: Bluegrass Junction...

Reply to
Swingman

Dang! I had you (and Leon) pegged wrong. I had imagined this working garage scenario for you two:

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

LOL ... you ain't far wrong:

Between me and Leon, that movie has been plumb wore out...

Merry Christmas, Sonny,

... and all the rest of the wRec!

Reply to
Swingman

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:m7fubj$vfb$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Merry Christmas.

I'm gonna leave that last paragraph alone... It doesn't read how you wrote it.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

And Merry Christmas to you and everybody else on the wRec. Haven't been too active here lately, but when I do go online, this is the first newsgroup I view.

Reply to
upscale

We thought you was a Toad! LOL

Reply to
Leon

Whaaaat? You don't eat your young? :-). Merry Christmas yall,

Reply to
Leon

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year (to ya'll)! Bill

Reply to
Bill

I am. Merry Ribbit Christmas! ....To All.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I use Pandora myself on my cell phone. To many trees around here for XM to be in the car, long road trip we might sign up for it. Had it for a short time, Turn on the car and start to drive down the driveway and I hit dozens of trees that are dense (Live Oak) and then even along the highway into town the road has high trees shielding the southern sky.

I might have to get one for the library and have it sit still - or get an outdoor antenna...

Martin - 'Deep' East Texas Retire

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Those are the deep south boys. Soggy Bottoms.... :-)

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

We have XM in my wife's car but I decided I didn't need it in my truck (thought they keep sending "special" offers). I'd rather listen to talk radio for the commute. There are times I'd like it but it's not worth the money. At home (where I have wifi - 4G is to expensive) I listen to I-Heart-Radio. I've found a few stations that are really good. I was recently in the hospital for 9 days and used it for background at night. Didn't sleep more than a couple of hours a night so listening to music was better than watching the clock go 'round.

Reply to
krw