Power thickness planer choices

... and I wouldn't have believed I'd ever say it, but you're right.

As I've said before: "Once upon a time Jet copied Delta, but not as good. Now Delta copies Jet ... but not as good".

Reply to
Swingman

I also look at these same things, but I make quality my second priority. I like to buy the best I can afford and then be done with it. Space is a factor for me, I have a garage to work in, but need to keep everything mobile so I can move it out of the way to work on a car or so I can take the tools to another location. It would be nice to have a dedicated building and fill it with professional quality stationary tools--but that's not where I'm at now. :)

I'm not affraid of buying things on-line. But I figure if the item weighs more than about 10-20 pounds, or is large enough that it needs to be hauled in a truck--I'd rather get it locally. I've also had my share of difficulties with on-line purchases that have arrived in abused or broken condition--and the probability of that happening seems to increase with weight and size.

Reply to
Bob Moos

Thanks for that one, Swingman...I've been working on my yard all day, and I'm hot and tired. Now I'm hot and tired and smiling, though.

I think I'm done with most new equipment...my next big iron is going to be the good stuff.

USED equipment.

I've built a shop that gets me by for now, but tools are like boats...there's ALWAYS a bigger one out there...

Right now my project/tool ratio is way way way too low. Once I get that back in line, and the bank account heals up, I'll start replacing stuff with good-ole American-made Delta/Powermatic. Here is SE Michigan, there's a guy that refurbs it and sells if for what I believe to be a reasonable price. And best of all, he _services_ it.

Tough to beat in my book.

Reply to
wood_newbie

I bought my Delta in 1994 and still use it quite a bit. I know they've made some model changes since then but the ugly lil' thing is still doing what it was intended for.

Reply to
edswoods.1

Also, I'd stay away from Ryobi. Customer service is bad, I've talked with some of the "service representatives" which are just small lawnmower repair shops who have some kind of contract with Ryobi and half the time they can't help you. I believe the tools are made by disgruntled Keebler elves who keep moving from tree to tree.

Reply to
edswoods.1

Problem is that Delta tools are not what they were 12 years ago.

Reply to
Swingman