Porter-cable 690LRVS - HELP!!!

warning the following is from a novice

I just purchased a PC router, model 690LRVS and I cannot figure out how to adjust the height of the bit. With the collet flush against the base I inserted the shank of the bit and tighted the collet. Now, I cannot adjust the height because the bit will not fit through the opening in the base. So do I remove the black plastic base?

I assume that this router can be used without a table or a plunge base.

As I have seen noted in other threads the manual would only be of use if you were stuck in the woods and needed some paper.

thanks for your help

john

Reply to
Coltrane

Gee, that is some router bit because the hole in the standard baseplate is 1

1/2 inches in diameter. However, you failed to notice that the bit is too big to go through the hole before you attached it to the router. You also failed to notice that the baseplate is attached to the base with three screws. Remove the bit from the collet. Buy a baseplate with a hole larger enough for your bit. Now, you can replace the standard baseplate with the one with the larger hole, and go on.

You assume incorrectly.

That is certainly not the case for the manual which they send with the 890 series. Jim

Reply to
Jim

Take the bit out, raise the collet away from the base and reinsert the bit.

Reply to
Leon

You are thinking of the one that comes with an 890. The one that comes with the 690 is 1 3/16, counterbored for template guides. Lots of edge profile bits will not fit.

Reply to
CW

following is from a novice

Jim,

thanks for your help.

I had just pulled the router from box and I was more curious to see if the collect fit. Then it was "wait a minute somethings wrong!"

I did notice the screws and I removed the baseplate. But I thought that the router would come with a baseplate that would handle the bits I have which are by no means large. My largest bit is a freud rabbet bit which is 1 3/8 in diameter.

'm fine as long can find a plate with a larger opening.

thanks again

john

Reply to
Coltrane

I use mine, fixed base and by hand, all the time. Now you tell me it won't work. Well, I'll be damned.

Reply to
CW

so, what are my options? I checked out porter cables site looking for replace plates and the only other plate they have is a clear plate with "an extra large whole", as it is listed on their site. That is the only solution I see so far. thanks for the help

john

Reply to
Coltrane
[...snip...]

You can find that plate at most outlets that sell the Porter Cable routers. And that is the option you want, in my opinion.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram

the usual thing to do is make your own. it's not hard to do, and while you're at it make 4 or 5 extras. it helps accuracy to have the hole in the sub-base be a close fit to the diameter of the bit.

Reply to
bridgerfafc

Or...

Nice stuff at reasonable prices.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Most woodworking stores sell sub bases for the 690 but the best place to go is to Pat Warners site. Top quality products at reasonable prices. If he doesn't have exactly what you need (unlikely), send him an email. He'll probably make you one. He makes the after market plates sold by Porter Cable and his own line is much more extensive.

Reply to
CW

I have one of those. The hole is 2.5". Way to big.

Reply to
CW

The one with the bigger hole accepts up to 2 1/2 diameter bits.

You can enlarge the hole in the current baseplate as follows:

  1. Install the size bit you intend to use in the fully retracted position.
  2. Secure the router and make certain that there is nothing below the router which the bit might hit.
  3. Turn on the router and slowly lower the bit through the baseplate.

The bit will cut a clearance hole. It is best if the hole only needs to be enlarged a small amount. Pieces of the baseplate may fly around some.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

This is what I do.

Reply to
Oughtsix

thanks, he not only has what I need but there is a lot of useful info on his site

Reply to
Coltrane

thanks, I ordered a different plate but I'll keep this in for future purchases

Reply to
Coltrane