Porter Cable 557 biscuit joiner

There are a number of 557 Mk III's with a defective part (believe it is the shaft the cutter runs on) that results in the slots being too wide (mine were approx 0.185), Porter Cable knows of this problem.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Wells

Peter - who did you talk to there ? Do you remember ? I've spoken to them and they deny ever having heard of it on the type 3s.

Reply to
Jim Bailey

IIRC that was a problem with the Type I's

Reply to
Leon

The guy I spoke to was Jack, when I called PC support they first tier support couldn't help but did arrange for a second tier/expert to call back; Jack was who called back. I bought my first unit from Amazon and had the problem, called PC and didn't really get anywhere, figured the easiest option was to get a replacement. Amazon service was great, replacement was sent overnight; however second unit had same problem of wide slot. I called PC again and got through to Jack who told me of a defective batch of shafts.

I've sent both mine back and borrowing a friend's DeWalt (the biscuits are a push fit) until the type IV's are in the stores. Then I'll probably go to a store where I can test the unit before buying.

Except for the slot being too wide I liked the unit, the exhaust needs to be redesigned, it clogs with cuttings after a few slots.

Good luck,

Peter

Reply to
Peter Wells