Plumbing question

Dear Gurus

I am a woodworker, and a photographer.

I am being evicted from my current darkroom, and am building a new darkroom in our basement to replace my current space.

All is going well, but I have a question regarding plumbing which I was wondering if anybody could help me with:

We are on a septic system, and the basement where the new darkroom will be is below the level of the inlet to the tank. I would like to take the drain from my sink, and have it go into a sealed bucket with a sump pump in it, and pump the water (there will be no solids), up about 10 ft to a laundry sink that is in my wifes studio above where the darkroom will be. The water will then flow down the drain of the laundry sink and into the septic tank -

Does anybody see any problems with this? Is there a better way?

Thanks

Mark

Reply to
Mark in Maine

On 27 Aug 2003, Mark in Maine spake unto rec.woodworking:

You can't have a "sealed" bucket - without a vent, very little water can go in or out. So, a riser tube or some other vent is needed.

If the laundry sink were full, you could start a siphon when your sump pump cycled on and off. This would refill your bucket, which would start the sump pump, which would start the siphon, which would refill the bucket, which would start the sump pump, etc., etc.

You might be better off plumbing the sump to the sink waste drain, rather than just dumping it into the open sink.

Scott. not a plumber but I play one on rec.woodworking

Reply to
Scott Cramer

: > I am a woodworker, and a photographer. : >

: > I am being evicted from my current darkroom, and am building a new : > darkroom in our basement to replace my current space. : >

: > All is going well, but I have a question regarding plumbing which I : > was wondering if anybody could help me with: : >

: > We are on a septic system, and the basement where the new darkroom : > will be is below the level of the inlet to the tank. I would like to : > take the drain from my sink, and have it go into a sealed bucket with : > a sump pump in it, and pump the water (there will be no solids), up : > about 10 ft to a laundry sink that is in my wifes studio above where : > the darkroom will be. The water will then flow down the drain of the : > laundry sink and into the septic tank - : >

: > Does anybody see any problems with this? Is there a better way? : : : You can't have a "sealed" bucket - without a vent, very little water : can go in or out. So, a riser tube or some other vent is needed. : : If the laundry sink were full, you could start a siphon when your : sump pump cycled on and off. This would refill your bucket, which would : start the sump pump, which would start the siphon, which would refill the : bucket, which would start the sump pump, etc., etc. : : You might be better off plumbing the sump to the sink waste drain, : rather than just dumping it into the open sink. : : Scott. not a plumber but I play one on rec.woodworking :

A sump pump may not have the "balls" to pump 10' vertical. You may need to put in an ejector pump. :

Reply to
Bob Gramza

In article , Mark in Maine wrote: [snip]

[snip]
[snip]

You mean you *don't* see any problems with putting darkroom chemicals into your septic system?

Rule of thumb for maintaining the proper operation of a septic system: If it didn't come out of your body, it doesn't belong in the potty -- toilet paper being the sole exception.

Post over on alt.home.repair and see what the plumbing gurus there think about dumping darkroom chemicals into a septic system.

Doug Miller

They have up-flush toilets, Mark. Look into this system...and see how you can adapt that system to what you want to do.

But, as was mentioned, you should be concerned about hazardous waste.

Have a nice week...

Trent

Cat...the OTHER white meat!

Reply to
Trent©

Yup. Kill all the bacteria. They don't eat the poop. The thing fills up, then you start getting sludge and sewer gas squooging out of your bathtub drains every time you flush the toilet. DAMHIKT.

Reply to
Silvan