Plate Joiners - Barrel Grip or D-Handle?

I use a Dewalt 682 Plate Joiner, which like most joiners, has a barrel grip. I've never tried a D-handle joiner.

I'm just curious: Of those of you who have tried both, which do you prefer, and why?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Mine has a handle, but I always hold it by the barrel when plunge cutting. I think it provides a better grip (I have very large hands).

Reply to
Phisherman

;~) I prefer the Domino grip.

Reply to
Leon

Show off!

Reply to
Robatoy

I am jinxed. ;~) It seems that in the last 6 major tool purchases that I have had problems with 3 of them. I tend to find problems quickly. Similarly I have been given full versions of software by vendors because I find lots of bugs in the demo versions. Anyway, My Domino had an issue with the eccentric indexing pin. It had to be totally removed to be adjusted and I had to adjust it to its extreme setting to get it properly adjusted. I talked to Festool and they asked me to send it back and they would fine tune the unit and they would also take pictures of the unit to send to Germany. They adjusted the bit oscillation path and replaced the fence assembly. It came back with a broken fence, thank you UPS. A phone call to Festool 5 minutes later and they would over night a new fence. I got the fence 19 hours later and the Domino now cuts "with out any adjustment" to with in .006" of dead on and the new indexing pin is basically zeroed. The clear plastic indexing window is dead on also. David at Festool did say that it would be better than new when I got it back. It is.

Reply to
Leon

So that none mistake me for a Festool DOMINO shill, I'll pass on some of the previous responses.

To the question - with a barrel grip - your pushing hand is more in line with the cut to be made than with a D handle, so you're less apt to rock the tool - and make a slant cut - or a sloppy one. The size and location of the the fence handle is also important. You want the hand on that one to be pushing DOWN, not down and foreward. The Porter Cable with the big U handle on top encourages rocking the tool - a dumb design idea. Handy to carry the tool around - but dumb when actually using it.

Just something to consider.

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

Totally agree. The PC handle indeed feels nice and is in a good position, but that does not actually translate to a best position for getting the job done.

Reply to
Leon

I have a Porter Cable 556 D Handle jointer. When first used I didn't like the way it can rock up and down during the cut. After several years of practice I don't give it a second thought and my biscuits come out fine. I have built a jig for cutting my joints with it which produces superior results to hand held. I often wonder if a D Handle router has the same initial problem? I'd get a barrel grip type (I don't think the D Handle is used on any current jointer, except the baby Royobi)

Reply to
rmeyer1

Make that PC 556 joiner ... not jointer. Imagine a D-handle jointer?

Reply to
rmeyer1