Planer question

x-no-archive:yes

Is this one any good?

am fixing up a sprayer for my dad and he is wanting to buy that one for me. (I told him he did not have to).

I have one inch thick rough cut lumber I would like to cut down to 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch for projects.I noticed that one only takes off a maximum of 3/32. I am assuming that planer would take several passes to get down to 1/2 inch. (I dont have a band saw for resawing).

Is there another one better?

Reply to
stryped

For that price, I'd get the dewalt. The craftsman stuff has been getting better lately but I'd still be worried about it.

One of the new planers, I think it's the dewalt, has a fan that helps to eject the chips. Since you don't have a dust collector, you'll want that.

Yeah, 3/32 really is a maximum. You'll want to set it to 1/16 or less even if the wood is hard or figured.

brian

Reply to
brianlanning

The current Workbench magazine (April 2006) has a comparison test of 13" planers. The Craftsman at $439 is easily beat by Home Depot's Rigid brand for $349 and it gets the "Top Value" award. The Dewalt for $499 (also on your link page) is the "Editors Choice". I bought the Rigid brand several years ago when it was rated a good choice by another magazine. I will get rid of it when I can afford a big SOB. Robert Smith

Reply to
Knotbob