Planer Knife Sharpening Jig (DIY)

I bought a new set (2-knives) of double edged planer knives (Delta) for my

12" Delta jointer for $30 at the BORG.

I went to get my old set sharpened and was told it would cost around $50 to get them sharpened on both sides for the set of two. I told the guy I just bought a new set for $30 and he said "Well I guys yours are disposable!"

I left and decided that I would figure out a way to do it myself and this is what I came up with:

to the bottom and let me know what you think.

I tried it tonight and it worked ok. I just need to come up with a way to keep the metal screw that contacts the sand paper from eroding!

Reply to
stoutman

Thats 12" Delta planer, not jointer. Arghh!

Reply to
stoutman

Put a strip of sandpaper face down under the screw. If the screw wears out the back of that piece of sandpaper, glue the strip to a thin piece of metal and adjust to compensate.

- Owen -

Reply to
Owen Lawrence

Sounds like a good idea IF you can adjust blade cutting depth in the cutter head after sharpening. Having never had a disposable blade planer I don't know if this is possible or not. The only problem I see would be if the blades would eventually not take cuts as deep as you would like with out having to readjust the in feed or out feed which would probablbly be more trouble that it is worth. But keep us posted at to how that works out for you when planing and how many times you can resharpen.

Reply to
Leon

The planer blades are set on top of springs. A knife setting jig came with the planer (TP300) that pushes the knifes against springs as it contacts the blade and the cutter head, which always gives the same amount of knife cutting depth.

Reply to
stoutman

Nice tip! Thank you.

Reply to
stoutman

Then you should be in good shape. I know some of the disposables simply fit on to indexing pins and allow for right to left movement but do not allow for depth adjustment.

Reply to
Leon

The 12" HSS blades on the Delta planers are disposable. As to whether you can resharpen them good luck.

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem

You can resharpen them. The jig I made is very effective. The question is whether or not the new edge will last as long as the original.

Reply to
stoutman

Simple. Magnets keep my blades to the proper eight wile tightening into place.

I'd make another suggestion though ....instead of two nails, a routed rabit on the leading edge, deep enough to be a stop for the blade. Also, just put some adhesive tape over the range the screw would travel, so that it doesn't contact the emery paper.

I saw a guy had a similar jig, with the groove cut as I described to stop the blade, and two tightening wheels, using another piece of wood to hold the lade into place. He then went to the grinder, not an emery cloth. He had a guide set up on the grinder, and did it all the time. It took a few seconds for to run the blade back and forth. I'd have to screw up a few before I got to be as good as him though.

Reply to
Guess who

Unless he has a model that I've never seen, the cutters in a Delta planer are located by pins and are not adjustable. If one knife is ground shorter than another, only the high one will cut. Any taper ground into them will transfer to the work being planed.

Reply to
CW

See my response to Leon. I have one you haven't seen I guess. :)

Reply to
stoutman

ABPW.

I have been underwhelmed by the quality of sharpening that my local guy does so I came up with this. It certainly but a nice microbevel on all of my spares. It remains to be seen if it can replace a complete regrind job, but I'm pleased as punch that I was able to build the jig and sharpen 3 pair of planer knives and a set of jointer knives in a couple hours with about $2.50 invested in abrasives.

Stout,

If you look at my design, I think you can adapt it solve your screw problem. I just let then handle part ride on the table. To get the bevel angle right, I just had to experiment with the bevel in the back of the knife-holding jig and the length of the handle.

Cheers,

Steve

Reply to
C&S

Nice! I like that. I use to send my jointer knives off for sharpening and I also was not pleased with the sharpening service. It was very slow to get my knives back and the edge clearly had a lot of grooves in it. For my jointer knives I use the Veritas jig, but it is to small for my planer knives.

I like your design. How do you keep the blades from falling out of the slot? or is it a snug fit?

There is one problem I can see with the tail of the jig not being supported by same flat granite surface as the knives. If the surface the tail is resting on is not as flat as the granite surface, as you push forward and backwards you could be raising and lowering the jig and changing the bevel angle as you travel.?. Maybe this is not a problem. I think I'm gonna give your design a try!

Reply to
stoutman

Yep, saw it.

Reply to
CW

Hi there my friend,

I would have loved to have seen your jig, for I am looking for Ideas to make one to sharpen some of my own Jointer blades. But!!

You may have the world's best sharpening jig ever invented, BUT, I am never going to see it because your web site is trying to put on my computer a program from "

" which is a "SPY AD", and refuses to let me see your web page "
" unless I allow you to put that Spy program on my computer, This I will not allow, so I guess that I will never see your greatest invention.

For those who do not know what is being said, I have close to 150 names of Spy programs and Data Minors in my HOST file, These are sneaky little programs which, at the best, looks over what you have on your computer and sends all that information out to an unknown someone else out on the web so that they know how to address the SPAM to get by all your blocks. And at the worst, they steal your personal information like passwords!

Every link that is called for by my computer checks is first checked in my HOST file to see if the name is there, and if it is, then it redirects the link back to my own computer, so that it cannot get out of my computer, this is done before going out on the Web to that link site. Those are NOT Cookies, but are SPY programs.

Jack at Zap

stoutman wrote:

Reply to
zap

You could just not allow scripts to run in your browser.

I use an extension to firefox called "No Script" which allows me to refuse javascript to run selectively. I.e., if I need it for a particular site (work-related, whatever) I can allow that site to run scripts--even to the exclusion of scripts loaded from other sites on that site's pages.

And I have no problems viewing his shtuff.

Thanks again, stoutman, for removing the flash applets. :)

er

Reply to
Enoch Root

Huh. I get no such alert, can see his site just fine, and there's no spyware on my Mac.

Oops. Did I say "Mac"?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Hi there my confused friend! It's NOT spyware. It is a web based website statistical hit tracker!!

I have no interest in putting Spyware on your computer. Trust me.

You need to relax a little my friend. No one is out to get you! You can remove the aluminum foil from under your cap also! :)

Reply to
stoutman

I think this Zap guy could benefit from a little Prozac!

Reply to
stoutman