Planer Knife Sharpening Jig (DIY)

Or a good swift kick...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

On 4/15/2006 9:20 PM stoutman mumbled something about the following:

He probably has the tinfoil inside out anyway. :)

Reply to
Odinn

No my friend, I will NOT Trust you to put that program on my computer. I don't care what YOU call it. It is still Spy ware! I keep my list updated from sources which keep track of who is spy ware, who is ad ware.

My own web site collects all kinds of information about the accessing of my Domain web site, all the statistics, without my putting any kind of additional hidden program on their computers. As the web master and owner, I don't need to use hidden secret programs.

If you were not trying to hide what you are doing, you could have put a timeout so that it could be bypassed, as many other web sites do.

My friend, I will keep that foil under my hat, and even wrap myself in it. But I will not let anyone steal MY information from off of MY Computer. And anyone who thinks that choosing No Scripts will stop a "program" from running on their computer, will one day find out the hard way. While No Scripts can block Ads incorporated in a web display, it will not stop a Program, and you just proved it because you accepted his secret hidden program being put on your computer, for that was the only way that you could possibly see what he had on his web site.

What I wanted to do was to look at your site, but you will NOT LET ME, unless I agree to take YOUR secret Hidden file. Something is rotten there.

Those of you who welcome all those hidden programs places put on your computer, you are welcome to them. If I have to take a secret hidden program, to look at your web site, then you can keep your web site and go on and con someone else.

Go on and have fun, this is my last word on it. Make fun if you want, it's your problem after you have been warned. do you really think that his is the only web site which is stealing information from your computers? Never mind, just put your head back in the sand, what you do not see ?????

Zap

stoutman wrote:

Reply to
zap

In an attempt to avoid any further confusion from people regarding my website I have removed the StatCounter web site statistical tracking code. Although, I think they are a legitimate operation and do not use spyware

I am doing this anyway.

Reply to
stoutman

Just an idea Stoutman,=20

Firstly, I'm having trouble visualising the whole jig you constructed, = despite your pic in the pics group. How about countersinking the screws = in some way? Is that possible without compromising your design or it's = usefulness? As I mentioned, I'm sorta thinking out loud here.

John

--=20 Remove 'spamfree' to reply

Reply to
John (aka wheelzuk)

your pic in the pics group. How about countersinking the screws in some way? Is that possible without compromising your design or it's usefulness? As I mentioned, I'm sorta thinking out loud here.

I'm not Stoutman but the problem is this: The blade and jig has TWO bearing points that are riding on the abrasive: The blade edge being sharpened and the round head of the screw.

The screw is used to set the angle at which the planer blade meets the abrasive.

There are any number of workarounds to move this bearing point either away from the abrasive or replacing it with something that will roll and yet still set the angle and be adjustable but countersinking the screw he's referring to isn't one of them

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Replace it with a caster set into a hinged block. Use the screw to adjust the angle of the caster (and thus the angle of the blade).

Or not ... it's your choice. :-)

I clamp a straightedge to my belt sander, set the table to the angle and take a couple passes. Not as pretty of an edge has you get, but it's only a planer knife and not the final step in the finishing process.

BTW, for those who despise cheap tools, I got my belt sander free. It looks nice sitting on top of my

Reply to
W Canaday

Stoutman, thanks for the inspiration. Liked your idea and tried my own. Used a 4 x 12 x 2 inch block of maple with a shallow rabbit to hold the knives instead of nails. Screws with washers hold the knife in the rabbit on each end and the middle. They go through the knife mounting holes. Then used a roller bearing mounted on the long side of a small gate hinge. The short side of the hinge is screwed to the back of the maple block on the same side as the rabbit. A screw under the hinge allows adjustment of angle. Using a screw for adjustment is kind of a pain so am going to replace it with a bolt threaded through the maple block for adjustment purposes. The roller bearing rolls across the sand paper with no wear. Can't post a picture to ABPW as I am google bound but it's kinda cool. Now if they just made 'legal size' sand paper :)

Reply to
Mike in Arkansas

Cool! How do you like the sharpening results?

I will NEVER send my planer blades out for sharpening!! Or jointer knives for that matter.

I would love to see a picture. If you e-mail me it I can post it to the group (and credit you of course!).

snipped-for-privacy@garagewoodworks.com

Thanks for the feedback!

Reply to
stoutman

How wide are the blades? I believe they make sandpaper in rolls.

Reply to
Upscale

Posted pictures in ABPW.

Reply to