Ping Sonny: How do you carpet a 2 x 4?

I'm curious what you're building ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

Soon to be revealed. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Pay a carpet expert to do one and watch and video.

Check outside your local Home Depot and see if there any standing around.

DerbyDad03 wrote:

Reply to
Artistick

That's something I've never seen around here. People have mentioned that day laborers hang around box stores looking for work. I've never seen it. Perhaps it's frowned upon here.

Reply to
krw

First, I'm done. (I posted that yesterday)

Second, how much do you think it would cost me to have an expert do "one"? I'm guessing that the cost of having one done would be a whole lot more than 1/5th of having all 5 done. IOW words, once he's on site for the 10 minutes it would take him to do one, he might as well do 'em all. Probably end up being the same price.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Same here, although I'm rarely at the home centers at 6, 7, 8 AM on a weekday.

Even if they are not at the home centers, I'll bet the contractors know where to find them.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If this needs staples in end grain, I'd want to put some liquid nails between the fabric and wood. I'd also want to round the wood off, those hard-to-form corners aren't all design-essential, are they?

Reply to
whit3rd

No staples in endgrain, in fact no staples on any face that shows.

All edges, 2 x 4's and plywood have a slight roundover.

I'm not sure how you are using the term "design-essential". I always try to consider both form and function. In terms of function, even the carpet itself is not essential. In terms of form, I want to cover the wood in a way that looks the best, even if I am the only one looking. So, for me at least, the corners are design-essential.

The project is done and pictures will follow soon. I think you'll see what I mean,

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Well, I'm late to the party. Just haven't been on the computer in a while AND been swamped with upholstery projects, home chores/up keep (mowing is difficult these days), picking & canning figs, etc. Also, 2 weeks ago I discovered this little girl in my wood rack. Not one to dismiss a needy animal, I think I've settled with adopting it. After a visit to the Vet, she's in much better shape today.

Bulk "fabric" as carpet is a practice in patience and trial and error, as you have discovered. No matter if its wood, metal, fabric, etc., all those sorts of corners require miter cuts, folds, pleats, snips, etc. and figuring them out is the task, again as you have discovered. As for as cut edges, I would have tried hot glue to secure any raveling.... apply the glue before cutting or apply glue as you cut to limit raveling as you cut.

I covered an upholstery work table with carpet and use crown staples to secure it. Some of the staples shot through the carpet backing. I ended up hot gluing a nickel size spot on the backside and shot the staple into the glued area. And actually, I thought to build a crawl-through upright box, of sorts, wrapped in carpet, for the kitten to play and scratch. I'm sure I'll be challenged with upholstering this project. Rather than crown staples, I'll use 1/2" or 5/8" vinyl staples. These staples have a 1/16" wide flat crown, hence more surface area to secure the fabric.... less likely to shoot through the fabric.

Updating my goings on: I'm still helping my nephew with his shop. Today I'll go assemble a shop cabinet I built a few weeks ago. I bought him a used Unisaw, a few new parts and will try to do some assembling of that.... side table, Unifence rail assembly, etc. and bring Jennifer some plumeria plants.... hers had died in this past winter's freeze.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Try looking at 6 AM.

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

You do not live near a border, the Mexican border to be more specific.

Reply to
Leon

Good point. Rarely.

Sure. Given the economy, I'll bet that they're full-time, or more.

Reply to
krw

There are a lot of Mexican workers around, particularly in roofing and lawn care, though the latter are probably the owners of the business. I just haven't seen them at the BORG.

Reply to
krw

Any idea what's wrong with her eye? When we got our tuxedo, he had a lot of discharge in his eyes. The vet told us to isolate him from our other cat, so we did. For a month. That didn't help so the vet said he probably got a herpes virus from his mother at birth. He's still a very happy camper but his eyes constantly weep. He *hates* when we clean his eyes.

About 20 years ago, I built a cat tower by making three boxes, each about 24" cube with a 12" hole in the front and an 8" hole in the corners so they could climb up from box to box. The box lids also lock one to the next. They're all carpeted inside and out, using hot clue.

Unisaw parts? Delta abandoning their tools scares me. PC abandoning their dovetail jigs does too.

Reply to
krw

I've found that carpet glue works rather well for this sort of thing, though I've admittedly never tried that small/tight a bend.

Reply to
Tim Daneliuk

I never considered herpes. Vet visit this Wednesday.

There was some brown/yellow smear on her hair below her eye. She'd paw at the eye irritation (as if cleaning?) and there was brown and black stickum on her paw. Initially in the wood rack, the lower supports being creosote posts, I had wondered if the blackness and smear was from the creosote, somehow. The fur and paw cleaned up with Dawn, but there is still some irritation of the eye lids. Topical triple antibiotic didn't clear up all the redness and irritation. I'm wondering if there is some sort of debris under her left eye lid. Her vision doesn't appear to be impaired. Right eye is normal.

Reply to
Sonny

The project is done. Pictures can be found in this thread:

Title: The Platforms For My Vehicle Are Complete - (Carpeted 2 x 4's) Author: DerbyDad03 Posted: July 10, 2021 7:23PM EST

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Could be an irritation caused by the creosote. The stuff drives me crazy.

Reply to
krw

I Googled feline herpes and read there's a few other symptoms that MAY show themselves. She hasn't/isn't showing any of those possible symptoms. Hope to find out Wednesday, 11AM appt.

Reply to
Sonny

I hope she's OK. Our cat's herpes hasn't bothered him much. He's about the friendliest cat we've had and we've a several people cats. He won't leave us alone. The other cat wants to be pet too but on her terms. She sits on a short scratching post/platform thing (we call her toll booth) and whines every time we walk by.

The only symptom of the herpes is the clear discharge from his eyes. It just looks like he's constantly tearing.

Reply to
krw