Ping Robatoy

Robatoy I know you have one or more Rotex sanders and I am very seriously looking into buying a 125. Do you use any of the other Festool sanders such as the finish sander? I am very much interested in eliminating a majority of the saw dust that the present sanders kick up and was wondering if the Festool finish sanders also hook up to the vacuum cleaner and do as good of a job on dust control as the Rotex.

Do you use the Festool sand paper?

Thank you

Reply to
Leon

The last one, is my 4th. One of them was a linear-type sander Duplex

130. I wouldn't buy that again. I'm sure it is fine for some limited applications, but not for me. The others were Rotex 150 (6") and the last was a new Rotex 150 FEQ.

Yes, they all take the hose from the CT 22 and such. The non-static aspect is nice this time of year for me. I have mine running on Fein Turbos, except the one on the truck, which is a CT22 (with a Fein sander...go figgur)

The last addition was the 150FEQ, as I mentioned, and it makes me smile. I love that thing. BTW, there is no real advantage to the 125. Draw a couple of circles

5" and 6" at the inside of a corner. You'll find the 5" doesn't really get that much closer that the 6"....... to speak of. The 6" evens out ripples better.

No. (Although I use Klingspor on my Quad sander) Therein lies the crux of the matter. Ultimately it is all about the sanding medium and how it behaves on certain materials. I don't use paper. I use Abranet from Mirka. (My spellchecker just went: "WTF??") It costs a bit more, lasts longer to the point that it is actually cheaper to use and simply does a great job. It is a screen and therefore it doesn't clog and no need to line up holes or any of that nonsense. The hook 'n loop is as sticky as dog snot to a screen door. People have complained about the cost, and it illustrates that they just don't get it. What is 5 dollars more in 'paper' on a $ 1000.00 project? It makes for a more predictable and faster job...and dust control is second to none.

$ 400 for a sander? Yup, and gladly spent. (It's not as if it's $ 4K, FFS)

hth

Robatoy

Reply to
marc rosen

I found that linear sanders in general are a bit of a disappointment. To be fair, I have tried a few over the years and I think the problem is inherit to the job it is trying to do. Not a design fault of Festool or the air-driven linears I have tried. The motion simply doesn't allow the dust to clear the sanding surface unles you really move the sander along. There isn't always room to do that.

BTW, Festool paper works great. They gave me some with my last sander. Abranet works better in my application. (Solid surface)

Reply to
Robatoy