pine sap or pitch

I scored a load of 1"x12" x 12' mostly pine and some spruce boards. The intent is to use them for some furniture or cabinets The pine look very nice but some have heavy sap/pitch congealed in the wood. Anyone ever have something like this and what did you do to keep it sealed in. Or used to suck it out of the grain. The sap/pitch boards are quite heavy and they look like the nicest ones.

Pete

Reply to
cselby

You can seal sap in with Shellac. If it is real runny it might be a problem but it generally works very well. Make sure to use dewaxed shellac if you will put any other finish over the shellac, which is reccomended generally. I have put both poly and lacquer over shellac with good results.

P.S. I love sappy Pine, especially sappy knots. They can look translucent. The nicest one I ever did, now that I think of it, was only finished with several coats of rubbed out shellac and it was awesome in the sunlight.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com