Patternmaker's rasps

Folks,

I am need of a Patternmaker's rasp(s) as I'm trying to complete a rocking chair. I need to feather in the edges of the joints (arms to seat, legs to seat, legs to rockers).

I am looking at the Nicholson ones (#49 and #50), but I also read that the production quality of these particular rasps are not great.

Rather than spending upwards of $100 per rasp or more any suggestions?

Thanks,

MJ

Reply to
MJ

These Nicholsons are $36 ea, (plus shipping = ?):

25 yrs ago, I bought a Porter Cable 7" disc sander ($180), with a rubber "p late", for heavy sanding (24 & 36 grit discs) in those sorts of areas. It works great for those types of areas, especially when there's a lot to chew away. I've learned to "carve" with it and use it for many other tasks. I 've only had to replace the brushes a few times. Don't know if today's san der would be of the same quality.

Additionally, for curved areas, I've made an assortment of rounded sanding blocks. The blocks not only fit the various curves, they are large enough & comfortable, to fit my hand.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Flee market, and garage sales. If you need it now... you will have to spend. The quality of Nics are very poor. Glad I have stock in old well cared for rasps.

Reply to
woodchucker

I've got those rasps... when I need them I need them! Put another way sometimes they are the only right tool.

An alternative would be the Auriou rasps

There are Chinese rasps floating around that suffice for occasional use.

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin
25 yrs ago, I bought a Porter Cable 7" disc sander ($180), with a rubber "plate", for heavy sanding (24 & 36 grit discs) in those sorts of areas. It works great for those types of areas, especially when there's a lot to chew away. I've learned to "carve" with it and use it for many other tasks. I've only had to replace the brushes a few times. Don't know if today's sander would be of the same quality.

Additionally, for curved areas, I've made an assortment of rounded sanding blocks. The blocks not only fit the various curves, they are large enough & comfortable, to fit my hand.

-------------------------------------------------------------- SFWIW

A 3-1/2" Milwaukee right angle sander/grinder equipped with 24 grit discs was my "go to" device for detail forming when working with fiber glass.

It was light enough to be able to work with one hand.

Last time I bought one the Milwaukee it was about $100 and 24 grit discs were $0.60 each in lots of 30.

For heavy work, a 9" Milwaukee right angle sander/grinder with 16 grit discs was the standard.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Just a thought, while the Nicholsons may not be great they might be good enough for this one project especially if they are inexpensive. Used daily the $100 ones would be a bargain.

Reply to
Leon

suggestions?

MJ, I bought a #50 Nicholson rasp about 10yrs ago and it has remained my "go to" rasp - inspite of having bought a more expensive "hand cut" rasp since. It cuts quickly and leaves a finish smooth enough to go directly to 80 or 100 grit sandpaper.

While you are at it, get yourself a small brass brush from HF to clean it with. Its not bad about loading up, but all rasps need to be cleaned from time to time.

Deb

Reply to
Dr. Deb

Go to Home Depot and buy the Cooper Nicholson 4 in hand rasp for $7.97.

They work just fine. I use them for tasks similar to yours; once faired out the hand holds in 40' of grab rails on my sailboat with one.

Reply to
dadiOH

Did Nicholson sell out to theChinese? Don't know how they're made now, but my 10+ year old Nicholson #50 still works just fine.

Reply to
Swingman

That's the problem. Lee Valley and a few other high-end tool catalogs dropp ed the Nicholson because of quality problems when Cooper switched to Mexico and Brazil (not China!) as places for their manufacture. However, there ar e some other places (many in fact) that continue to sell the Nicholsons. I will probably go ahead and order from one of them and look other suggestion s. There are a couple of highly recommended rasp makers that are not hand c ut, and don't cost more than the Nicholsons.

MJ

Reply to
MJ