Parts Holder for the Fabulously Cheap

You can get some useful stuff from Home Depot for free. In fact, I found the people more than willing to let me load up. I'm talking about those metal straps they use to secure plywood and such on pallets. In the past, I've made shelf brackets from the straps, small scrapers, marking knives and some peanut-butter-jar screw/nail/etc holders for my peg board. I have found it a good idea to heat the part of the strap to be punched(or drilled) to red hot to make it easier to pierce.

Lawrence L'Hote

Good work, Larry. Have fun. Joe

Lawrence L'Hote wrote:

Reply to
Joe_Stein

Coulda used some of that to hang my DC ductwork...

Reply to
mark

As you know, the strapping is hard and tempered making it difficult to bend and drill. FWIW I found I could reduce the temper considerably by coiling up a long strip and laying it on the bar-b-que coals and getting it red hot. In the pictures, the grey colored section has been bar-b-qued and the part(black) around the pb jar left alone.

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 21:54:36 GMT, "Lawrence L'Hote" calmly ranted:

When I made holes in the bandsaw blade I'll someday use for the bow saur I'm someday going to finish, I used the hand anvil punch. They work very well for that.

-- "Menja bé, caga fort!"

Reply to
Larry Jaques